Photo

Entering document transcription (best practices)

Transcription Sources Notes Formatting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Witterly

Witterly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:09 PM

Greetings,

RM newbie here. 

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for "best" (or their own preferred) practice for transcribing source text in the research notes window. 

Here are some of my general questions

• Do you paste standardized templates for questions that appear in vital records/census/social security documents? If yes, do you have recommendations on where to find these?
  • How do you separate the question vs the data gathered? Some examples of what I am talking about:
    • Date of birth: May 1, 2015
    • Date of birth: May 1, 2015
    • [Date of birth] May 1, 2015
  • Do you use spaces or tabs (or something else) to separate the question vs response
  • Do you note unclear/illegible text under research notes or comments?
  • Do you write the whole question out or shorthand?
  • Do you put line breaks between each fact? This seems to add considerable length the report. 
  • Relatedly, how do you ensure you make sure the formatting of your transcript does not go bezerk when exporting to GEDCOM

I realize there is not "correct" answer to some of these questions, and many are personal preferences. I just wanted to get some ideas from the experts.

Thanks, in advance, for your insight!

Update

Having just stumbled on this thread, I now feel a bit more lost than when I wrote this message. I tried typing a transcript of an SS5 form into the "Research Notes" for a citation that had been pasted to several different facts. Well apparently thinking that the transcript would be appended to the research notes across multiple previously pasted facts was wishful thinking. Is there any way to remedy this situation? Sorry if these are basic questions. 

Edited by Witterly, 15 October 2017 - 11:16 PM.

#2 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:18 PM

I create a document, usually a PDF file with all of the questions and answers of the interview. This document becomes a source just like a page from a census, book, or birth certificate.

All of the answers from that document that become a fact, or event are really a source citation that verifies or indicates those facts, so that document as one source is associated with (as a citation) each fact as evidence, (probably a tertiary one).

Depending on the length of the interview you could enter the actual text in the citation as well.

#3 Witterly

Witterly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:44 PM

I create a document, usually a PDF file with all of the questions and answers of the interview. This document becomes a source just like a page from a census, book, or birth certificate.

All of the answers from that document that become a fact, or event are really a source citation that verifies or indicates those facts, so that document as one source is associated with (as a citation) each fact as evidence, (probably a tertiary one).

Depending on the length of the interview you could enter the actual text in the citation as well.

Thanks for sharing your strategy for recording interviews! I was actually referring to recording the transcript of primary source documents (I can see how my original question was unclear). 

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5593 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:48 PM

You would have to use extreme splitting and place the transcript in the Master source, not at the Source Details or Citation level for changes to be effected across all its citations. Every citation of it has its own unique record in a table which relates to a single Master source record in another table. Changes in one citation record affects only one of many citations of the master source. Changes in the Master Source affect all of its citations.

There is a request on the wishlist for a master citation concept which could be tagged to many people|events for which citation edits would affect all citations.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.