1 reply to this topic

#1 Ken Funk

Ken Funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:03 AM

Life would have been so much simpler if I had settled on my source templates before I got 30,000 relatives in, so now I pay the price.  I am seeking assistance with the best source template (built in or designed) to use for online databases all of which come from Ancestry or FamilySearch (at least at this time).

I know Renee mentioned using one of the military record templates before and I have looked at that one.  I am also looking at one of the templates on Renee's site called 'Website with Multiple DB-URL in Citation' as well as the one called 'Website (with multiple databases)' that is built in.

My goal is one master source that I can use for both sites all though I would be willing to create a seperate source for each of the two sites.  I am also trying to do this in such a way as to be flexible if I should begin using other online sites with databases.

The only difference in the two named templates above is the part designated as being in the citation.  The fields are as follows in both:

1: Author

2: DatabaseTitle

3: CreatorOwner

4: WebsiteTitle

5: URL

6: AccessType

7: AccessDate

8: ItemOfInterest

9: ItemType

10: CreditLine

In the one without the URL, 6,7,8 are listed as Citation and in the other template 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10 are listed as in the citation.  Since I am trying to lump these into a single source as opposed to having an individual source for each database I am assuming that I probably want to move everything except for maybe Author and CreatorOwner to the citiation, does this sound reasonable??  Second question is what do you put in specific fields?  For example I have a FamilySearch item and the citation that FamilySearch created is as follows:

"Wisconsin, County Marriages, 1836-1911," database, FamilySearch(https://familysearch...03/1:1:XRKZ-S75 : 3 June 2016), Mariah Shilts in entry for Emerson Allen and Delila Shilts, 28 Apr 1883; citing Boyd, Chippewa, Wisconsin, United States, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison; FHL microfilm 1,275,831.

So I am assuming the database title would be 'Wisconsin, County Marriages, 1836-1911'.  So would FamilySearch be the Author and the CreatorOwner?  What would you consider the website title?  URL, AccessType and AccessDate are pretty self explanatory.

I am assuming the credit line would be 'citing Boyd, Chippewa, Wisconsin, United States, Wisconsin Historical Society' so what would be the ItemType?  Would that be the microfilm?  The ItemOfInterest would be 'Mariah Shilts in entry for Emerson Allen and Delila Shilts, 28 Apr 1883', yes??

I know that sourcing is very person specific but I am sure most of you have some type of best practices that has worked well for you, and that is what I am trying to tap into here. 

Thank you for reading this far!

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7704 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:35 PM

Looking at how I did mine I would put:

1: Author: Wisconsin Historical Society

2: DatabaseTitle: Wisconsin, County Marriages, 1836-1911
3: CreatorOwner: FamilySearch
4: WebsiteTitle: FamilySearch
5: URL: www.familysearch.org or the full database collection URL
6: AccessType: accessed
7: AccessDate: 3 Jun 2016
8: ItemOfInterest: Mariah Shilts in entry for Emerson Allen and Delila Shilts, 28 Apr 1883
9: ItemType: FHL microfilm 1,275,831; https://familysearch...03/1:1:XRKZ-S75
10: CreditLine: citing Boyd, Chippewa, Wisconsin, United States, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison 

Renee
RootsMagic