• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pbooth99

pbooth99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:34 AM

If I use services like thegenealigist.co.uk I can get actual street addresses from U.K. Census records. This is valuable with common names because frequently people married people who lived in the same street or had siblings and parents around the corner.

But clearly places are not intended to hold street addresses. Place Details seem useful for church names where town X might have seven churches but aren't an obvious fit for street addresses. Does anyone have a workable system for tracking street addresses within RootsMagic?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5554 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:43 AM

I use Place Details for street addresses. Some put the street name first followed by the number when there are multiple addresses in the same Place so that the same street will sort together. But Place Details do not transfer via TreeShare or FamilySearch Central so some put them into the Place Name which is incompatible with Place standardisation. Others put the street address into the Event Description but that loses the automatic consistency among multiple events provided by the Places system.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7301 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:23 PM

Place Details will go over to Ancestry through TreeShare now. It will is pre-pended to the Place Name. 

Renee
RootsMagic