#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:34 AM

Has anyone else seen this ......

I have noticed numerous times that the Ancestry WebHints will be duplicated for a given person.

For example, today I saw three Ancestry WebHints for the "Texas Marriage Index 1824-2014" for the same person in my RM tree.

I say they were duplicated, but sometimes the cited source has slightly different record details, when viewed on line in Ancestry.

Do Ancestry indexes sometimes have multiple entries for the same person, with different record details?

Confusing and also time consuming to check these out.

Just wondering if I'm looking at this correctly.

Thanks

RickL

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:16 AM

The same marriage record is usually indexed twice in ancestry, both as John Doe married Jane Smith and as Jane Smith married John Doe. If you do a search for John Doe from the ancestry user interface, you will get both index entries. If you do a search for Jane Smith from the ancestry user interface, you will get both index entries. I think the same thing is happening for ancestry Web hints for marriage records.

Jerry

#3 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:56 PM

Yes, I get that, but shouldn't the record data be the same for both husband and wife? I've seen cases where the marriage date, for example, is different from one hint to another. I've also seen cases where more information is included for one hint than in another, but both are listed against the same citation. I guess if two entries were indexed and more information was provided at one time, and less at another, Ancestry would see that as two unique entries.

It's no big deal except that it takes a lot of time to run down each hint and then figure which to use.

RickL

#4 karibeth61

karibeth61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:42 PM

I find this rather interesting. I had the same situation a few years back when I was still using Family Tree Maker, except more often than not it was only the wife/mother that duplicated, but the duplicate family never included the second spouse. However, all the children I had in the original family appeared in the second family, as did any shared facts (along with any citations) from the original family. I had no idea at the time how or when it happened and could get any answer from either Ancestry or FTM support. My only thought was perhaps it occurred when I ran the compression tool on FTM and never considered it to have happened when I synced my FTM file to Ancestry. Sadly, I still come across these every so often in my file.

Kari

#5 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:03 PM

This problem continues.

I ran into it again today.

I had 3 web hints for the same person for a marriage record. All three hints read exactly the same. When I went to them on Ancestry I found minor differences in the details available.

Examples -

Hint#1

John Doe husband

Mary Smith wife

Marr. date & place

Hint#2

Mary Smith wife

John Doe husband

Marr. date & place

Hint#3

John Doe

Marr. date & place

Wife not listed

I have not found a short cut. You just have to go to each hint and compare. I usually import to RM the one with the most information, then just accept the others to close the hints.

If anyone knows of a more efficient way to plow throw this, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks and good luck.

Rick

RickL