• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Will60S

Will60S

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:06 PM

I have been using Roots Magic on my Macbook Pro for a couple years now. I love this program. But now I cannot open the program any more. Every time I try to launch it, I get the following message...

Initialization Failure
          CrossOver is unable to initialize a critical component.

Failed to import cxutils module into Python. See console for errors.

The program will now exit.

I am not sure what any of this means or how to get my genealogy back.

Has anyone had this sort of thing occur?

#2 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:24 PM

If you just installed a new OS then you need to completely uninstall RM and reinstall.  See below

https://www.facebook...hc_location=ufi

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7360 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:33 AM

Here are the steps for the complete removal of RM and the CrossOver programming around it.

Complete uninstall of RootsMagic on the Mac
If the Crossover wrapper around the 'RootsMagic for Mac' program needs to be updated, a complete uninstall of the program is needed.

1. Make sure you have a backup of any RootsMagic data files
2. Delete any and all RootsMagic .dmg files from your computer
3. Drag and drop the RootsMagic application icon to your trash bin
4. In Finder, select Go > Go to Folder
5. Type ~/Library/Application Support
6. Drag the folder labeled "RootsMagic" to the trash bin
7. Go to ~/Library/Preferences and delete the file com.rootsmagic.rootsmagic.plist
8. Drag and drop the RootsMagic 7 shortcut icon on the Dock to your trash bin
9. Download and install the latest version of RootsMagic - http://rootsmagic.co...d/RootsMagic-7/

This will completely uninstall RootsMagic for Mac "and" the Crossover programming as well.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 jeboyce2

jeboyce2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 10:55 AM

If I follow these instructions, however, I will lose all my data, won't I?

And I will also have to pay for RM all over again? (I've been using this for years and no longer have any idea where my original activation code might be!)

#5 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:09 AM

Request your Registration key here

http://www.rootsmagic.com/Recover-Key/

#6 jeboyce2

jeboyce2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:33 AM

Thanks, Bob, but I ordered RM while posted overseas, using a foreign email address that no longer exists, so this won't help much!

#7 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:07 PM

Try emailing sales@rootsmagic.com and explain what has happened asking that they send you your key at your new address. They should be open again on Tuesday.

Reinstalling should not do anything to your data. All reinstalling does is remove and replace the programs needed and does not touch your data which is not stored in the program.

#8 jeboyce2

jeboyce2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:40 PM

Thanks, Bob!!
Does that mean I do not have to uninstall first?

#9 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:58 PM

I do not have a Mac. But based upon what I have read from RM Support on this site and Facebook you MUST uninstall per the instructions above by Renee, who works in RM Support.

#10 jeboyce2

jeboyce2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:09 PM

Thanks again, Bob.
However, even after a complete uninstall and re-install, I still get the error message!

#11 jeboyce2

jeboyce2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 03:16 PM

Tried it all over again ... and again.
The third time was a charm.
Just need to find my activation code!

Thanks for the help, Bob & Renee!

#12 RickWall

RickWall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 02:16 PM

Argh! I am in deep schtuk!

I thought I would treat myself over the holiday and so some genealogy. Surprise, surprise  . . . RM won't load . . . .

I am an iMac user and I am having the same problem as described above. I have read the instructions on how to reinstall but I cannot back up my data as the RM program will not open.

It has been nearly a year since I last used RM and backed up my data. I backed up each time with the RM program option and also saved the data as a .rmgb file on a thumb drive.

And as others have found, the problem seems to have appeared after I installed the new iMac OS (High Sierra).

The last thumb drive backup was January 2017. There may be later data but I am not sure.

What can I do?

#13 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

Argh! I am in deep schtuk!

I thought I would treat myself over the holiday and so some genealogy. Surprise, surprise  . . . RM won't load . . . .

I am an iMac user and I am having the same problem as described above. I have read the instructions on how to reinstall but I cannot back up my data as the RM program will not open.

It has been nearly a year since I last used RM and backed up my data. I backed up each time with the RM program option and also saved the data as a .rmgb file on a thumb drive.

And as others have found, the problem seems to have appeared after I installed the new iMac OS (High Sierra).

The last thumb drive backup was January 2017. There may be later data but I am not sure.

What can I do?

First, find your RM files (of all types) and copy them to somewhere safe.

Then, on the assumption that your iMac does not have pure SSD rather than an HDD or a Fusion Drive, follow Renees instructions fully and completely - all the steps.

Then, open RM and change the Folder options to point at a copy of the folders in which you saved the copy of your old RM files.

Then try opening the latest data file - it should open OK - but if not, restore from the most recent backup file.

Of course, the last steps will only work if you have got beyond the problem you have reported, which should be the case if you have followed the instructions to the letter and do not have a SSD only boot disk.

#14 RickWall

RickWall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:39 PM

Thanks for the note JP.

Since I am not that well versed with technical things (such as how to find the disc type and all associated files) I contacted Apple. Boxing Day is a busy at Apple so the lad I talked to really didn't have much time for me. I got the distinct impression he was sloughing me off :-)

He indicated that I had a 256GB SSD. My subsequent digging found reference to a 256GB solid-state second drive. But that still doesn't help to interpret your comment "assumption that your iMac does not have pure SSD rather than an HDD or a Fusion Drive". I don't know what you mean by this?

The Apple tech assistant was not aware of any easy way of finding all the files related to a particular application. He suggested I go through all the files on my computer - one by one!

So I am back at the beginning - I have a January 2017 copy of a .rmgc file - and no idea how to acquire all the RootsMagic data files before doing the recommended uninstall/install.

Any suggestions as to acquiring all the correct files for backup.

#15 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for the note JP.

Since I am not that well versed with technical things (such as how to find the disc type and all associated files) I contacted Apple. Boxing Day is a busy at Apple so the lad I talked to really didn't have much time for me. I got the distinct impression he was sloughing me off :-)

He indicated that I had a 256GB SSD. My subsequent digging found reference to a 256GB solid-state second drive. But that still doesn't help to interpret your comment "assumption that your iMac does not have pure SSD rather than an HDD or a Fusion Drive". I don't know what you mean by this?

The Apple tech assistant was not aware of any easy way of finding all the files related to a particular application. He suggested I go through all the files on my computer - one by one!

So I am back at the beginning - I have a January 2017 copy of a .rmgc file - and no idea how to acquire all the RootsMagic data files before doing the recommended uninstall/install.

Any suggestions as to acquiring all the correct files for backup.

OK, let’s try to take things more slowly.

To discover what disks - HDD and/or SSD - you have, select the Apple icon at the top left of your screen and select About this Mac. Then select System Report and this will give a detailed summary of your hardware and software. Select the Storage item under Hardware and then ensure that Macintosh HD is selected. That will be you boot drive. At the top is a line that tells you what type of file system is in use. At the bottom of the resulting display, there will be information about one or two physical volumes.

In my case (late 2014 iMac), the file system is Journaled HFS+ and the physical consists of a 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. With such a combination, the software treats the combination of these 2 physical drives as what Apple calls a (single) Fusion Drive - frequently used files migrate to the SSD but less frequently used files are kept on the HDD.

The issue with Crossover and High Sierra appears - so it appears - to be that if the boot drive only consists of an SSD, then the upgrade/installation of High Sierra results in the file system being upgraded from HFS+ to APFS. And it is APFS that causes the probem. So, the first key question is what type of drive you have.

Now, to find your old RM files, open Finder and in the search box at the top right, enter .rmgc to find all the database files on your system - you use Open in RM to access those. All backup files can be found by searching for .rmgb . These are the 2 key file types, but should give you an idea of where you may have stored the other types of RM files. You should be able to see the full path of each file by selecting it within the list that results - see the bottom of the panel - but if not, “right click” on an item and select Get Info.

Hope that helps you move forward a little. Feel free to ask more.

Edited by J P, 27 December 2017 - 11:46 AM.

#16 RickWall

RickWall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:58 PM

Hey JP - thanks very, very much for the detailed assistance! To say the least, I am still confused at this point, but there seems to light on the horizon :-)

I followed your instructions - About this Mac - System Report - Select the Storage - Hardware - Macintosh HD selected. This revealed that I have about 820 GB out of a possible 999GB available and a Journaled HFS+ File System with a BSD Name of disk0s2.

Still confused I decided to contact Apple again. I was not pleased with the Apple Tech from yesterday. This new lad was most excellent and took me further into the Disk Utility. He definitively, positively concluded that my machine (mid-2011 vintage) is an HDD that does not have any SSD or Fusion capabilities!

Questions: Now that it has been established that I have an HDD, can I now follow the instructions above from Renee Zamora for reinstalling RM7? Or do I need to look further?

Again, thanks for your help and suggestions to "take things more slowly". While I await your further guidance I will begin the search for the .rmgb files.

#17 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:00 PM

Hey JP - thanks very, very much for the detailed assistance! To say the least, I am still confused at this point, but there seems to light on the horizon :-)

I followed your instructions - About this Mac - System Report - Select the Storage - Hardware - Macintosh HD selected. This revealed that I have about 820 GB out of a possible 999GB available and a Journaled HFS+ File System with a BSD Name of disk0s2.

Still confused I decided to contact Apple again. I was not pleased with the Apple Tech from yesterday. This new lad was most excellent and took me further into the Disk Utility. He definitively, positively concluded that my machine (mid-2011 vintage) is an HDD that does not have any SSD or Fusion capabilities!

Questions: Now that it has been established that I have an HDD, can I now follow the instructions above from Renee Zamora for reinstalling RM7? Or do I need to look further?

Again, thanks for your help and suggestions to "take things more slowly". While I await your further guidance I will begin the search for the .rmgb files.

Yes, just follow Renee’s instructions - carefully - and you should be OK.

#18 RickWall

RickWall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:22 PM

Done and dusted!

A few minor problems at the end of the process due to file extensions, but logic (and Travis, a great guy at AppleCare) prevailed. I am now up and running and trying to figure out the new Ancestry hints.

A huge thanks to you J P and to Renee for her most excellent reinstall procedure!

#19 pbooth99

pbooth99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:18 PM

FWIW, On High Sierra with the new appfs filesystem on an internal SSD disk, I am able to consistently workaround this problem by installing CrossOver directly and then installing a RootsMagic 7 within CrossOver. 

#20 Lsmonique

Lsmonique

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:45 AM

Thanks, Renee. Worked fine. 

Monique -