3 replies to this topic

#1 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 01:30 AM

I start RM7 and reopen the tree and got to FamilySearch Central.

I click on the What's New link for people with new info and the Sign-in window opens and declares "Invalid login. Please make sure your login and password are correct.".

I know what they are, so I re-type them and try again. Same error.

Once more making very sure I typed it correctly. Same message.

I open a browser and for to FamilySearch.org to login that way and test it.

Family Search says "Your account has been locked temporarily. Please try again later."

Not sure if it is locked from multiple failed logins or for some other reason.

My point is that RM7 didn't tell me I was locked out, just that it was an invalid login.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7169 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:38 AM

Make sure you have RM 7.5.4.0 installed (Help>About RootsMagic)

Open RM and use Ctrl+Shift+U and select "Reset Program Settings". It will clear out the bad login.  Then close RM.

Open FamilySearch.org and make sure your login is correct and the account is no longer locked.

Open RM and go to File>FamilySearch Central and login. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:59 PM

Two questions:

1 - Is RM754 doing something in the background with FamilySeach if I have given it my credentials there to use? My theory is that the background processing (whatever it is, maybe Hints or something) is doing an improper login for some reason and that's what gets me locked out. Has happened a few times with me NOT using the FS web pages in between.

2 - Sure, I can reset to get rid of bad login credentials inside RM7, but why did they go bad? That needs to get fixed! They should only get written once and then used repeatedly after that so who is messing them up? And when I do the reset, what other information gets reset and I therefore need to recreate afterwards? Why doesnt using the FS Central to log off and then log back on again do a fresh login, ignoring any cached credentials, and thus rewrite anything that was previously stored concerning such credentials?

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7169 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:02 AM

1. The FamilySearch WebHints do require your login in a different location than FamilySearch Central. If you had WebHints enabled it will try to login automatically when RM is opened.  If your had a bad login previously and used Ctrl+Shift+U to "Reset Program Settings it would have cleared it.

Go to Tools>File Options>FamilySearch to enter your login. There is an option to "Match person to FamilySearch when hints found" that could be interfering if you had a bad login in that location.  All this feature does is an auto-match like FamilySearch Central. It will look for a good match and automatically match then so you can get hints for the person. So I could see FamilySearch WebHints causing an issue with locking you out if you had a bad login there. Making it attempt to login over and over again.

2. Any login shouldn't go bad, unless you changed your password. There shouldn't be a need to use Reset the Program Settings if you didn't have RM set to login to FamilySearch automatically. When you do a reset it will change all the File Options and Program Options setting back to the default. So take screen shots of them before hand to help you know which settings you like to customize. The other things that get reset are the columns in the People View if you had customized them, and the toolbar. You won't loose your registration key, color-coding or groups. It will just be like a new install of the program without the loss of the key.

If you have a Windows update happen while RM was open you can experience some issues with the program settings. If you hadn't changed your FamilySearch password that may have been what happened. In that case it would be good to use a program like CCleaner (free version) to do a registry clean.

Renee
RootsMagic