• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mgb

mgb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:16 PM

After transferring my data from another genealogy db, I have about 90 sources, which were imported into RM as free-form.  Some are used 30-40 times.  I would like to convert these so I can use the rich RM template system and also the master and detail text fields.  Is there a way to do this, and still have the source linked to the 30-40 facts?

Or will I need to create new sources directly in RM if I want to use the master and detail features?   If that’s the case, are there any suggestions on streamlining this task?  keeping track of multiple uses of a source? 

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:17 AM

First, a note about my educational background - after high school I went off to university and stayed there until I achieved a Master of Architecture degree. A dozen years later, I went into the education field, and so had to take a whole series of additional classes in order to get certified and to advance my skill sets.

So, I've had to bend to the requirements of the APA and MLA bibliographic documentation systems. And neither makes sense to me,in terms of my own goal of providing a concise footnote & bibliographic entry that is easy for me to generate and sufficient to allow any subsequent researcher to double-check and verify my reports.

Over my 30 years of researching genealogy, the software has improved dramatically, and for those who think that complex nit-picky templated Master Sources are important, they are available. But I prefer simplicity, so I use (almost universally) the Book, Basic Format source template within RM. It lets me hit the goal stated above, but doesn't complicate my life by requiring me to learn and master dozens of different source templates.

Merging master sources based on the Free Form template into the Book, Basic Format template works perfectly, because the essential Source Details - Page Number field of Free Form exactly matches the Source Details - Page field of Book, Basic Format.

Merging Free Form sources into other templates may be troublesome (or impossible) if the fields do not match.

In my work, when I want to convert a Free Form source (with multiple citations) into a Book, Basic Format template, the process is quick and easy:

_1 - create a new Book, Basic Format source template with the 6 fields, Repository, Master Text and Media desired.

_ 2 - merge the Free Form into the Book, Basic Format source.

That's it. All done.

#3 mgb

mgb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 01:56 PM

Thank you!  Simplify, simplify, ,simplify.  I like that.  I am a new RM user, but began my genealogy research almost 30 years ago.  After a 10+ year pause, I'm getting into it again.  So the software I was using was pretty outdated and my implementation of source citations was probably based on what was available 15 years ago.  Frankly, I'm still kind of on the fence between RM and Reunion, which is of course much more robust than it used to be.