9 replies to this topic

#1 NBK

NBK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:36 AM

Hi,

When I click on a lightbulb to view Findmypast hints all I get in my browser is a blank page. Hints for Familysearch/MyHeritage work ok.

I can't be sure, as I've never previously paid attention to such things, but it looks to me as if the URL being sent to the FMP site is somehow being truncated.

I have a feeling that when it was working the URL was longer than, for example, https://www.findmypa...ui/#/?_k-poiyhi

Anyone else come across this before ? Any thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated.

I'm running RM7 v 7.5.4.0 on Win 10 Pro v1703 using IE v11 as default browser.

Thanks

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:29 AM

It's working for me using Google Chrome. See if changing default browser will help.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:45 PM

Works fine for me in IE11 ~

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 NBK

NBK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:38 PM

Hi Renee,

Set Chrome as the default browser and the problem goes away ....  Have to say though I'm not a great Chrome fan - too intrusive by far, but then probably no worse than IE ! I'll live with it though as a work around.

I'm still curious as to the root cause of the problem .. pulled down the latest Win 10 update the other day but I suspect that's a coincidence.

Watching the IE address bar carefully, while clicking on the FMP Hint link in RM, the initial URL shown is a fairly long string of alphanumerics, which is what I would expect to see, but changes instantly to the truncated string similar to the example in my original post. I'll flag it to FMP support to see if they have any suggestions ....

Thanks

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:52 AM

IE barely even works on my Windows 10. I gave up using it. I think Microsoft wants you to use Edge now. I'm not sure if all the providers support Edge yet though. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Malcolm Perrins

Malcolm Perrins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:51 AM

When I click on the lightbulb to access Findmypast hints I get a page listing all of the hints but to go further I am taken to a subscription page even though I am a subscriber to Findmypast.

I use Safari. I would rather not ditch Safari in favour of Google.

Is there a solution?

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:30 AM

Findmypast only works with the US subscription. If you have another subscription then you need to change the domain .com to the URL you use in the browser.

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Malcolm Perrins

Malcolm Perrins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:23 PM

Still no joy.

I've changed the URL to .com.au when it appears in Safari and I still have the search results but to go any further I am taken to the subscription page. I can take the drop down window for My Account and I am shown as logged in.

#9 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:23 PM

Perhaps it's a difference between Starter and Premium packages as to what can be accessed? (I don't have an account)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:55 AM

Make sure you are logged into Findmypast for your subscription in the browser first. Then you should be able to just change the URL. If you continue to have issue then you need to contact Findmypast support. Once your in the browser their support handles it.

Renee
RootsMagic