16 replies to this topic

#1 weishaupt

weishaupt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:28 AM

I have used Personal Details/Notes for the individual - Extensively for a very long time. I use them to convey things about a person. They contain explanations, observations, assumptions, internet errors, details not obvious, conclusions, story of our search, excerpts of works, opinions of researchers .... etc. They have evolved into a Timeline, a Story and a Biography for every person in my RM. These are copied and transferred to other resources such as Find a Grave, Fold3, e-mail inquiries, personal webpages and WikiTree.

Now I find these notes have been closed and privatized by Ancestry. They are uploaded by TreeShare to Ancestry and placed in Tools/Notes and closed to others. At the bottom we see - (Notes can only be viewed by the owner and by those invited to the tree as an “editor”).

Asking for help to find alternatives.

Thanks

Bill

#2 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:45 PM

I assume you are calling "Personal Details/Notes" the notes field on the Person line in the pedigree or person view. (The top line on the screen).

If not could you clarify please? I haven't found a field called "Personal Details/Notes".

Thanks

RickL

#3 weishaupt

weishaupt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:38 AM

In the EDIT PERSON screen - to the right side is a PERSON column and a PERSON DETAILS column - under PERSON DETAILS is NOTES and SOURCES. It is in those NOTES I have for many years collected stuff for every person cause it was so convenient. Stuff evolved into a timeline/story. Try now with TS to salvage my stuff for view by all on Ancestry.

thank you

Bill

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3189 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:06 PM

Ok, so you are talking about RM's general note field - one general note per individual.

Most of the time, RM's general note field transfers fairly well to other genealogy software. Indeed, RM's general note field is not on RM's list things that do not transfer to ancestry. Also, your initial message in this thread indicates that it does transfer. Rather, you are saying the problem is that after RM's general note field is transferred to ancestry the note is privatized by ancestry. So is there another note field in RM that is transferred to ancestry and which is not privatized by ancestry?

The only thing I can think of that might work is a fact note. I'm moving away from RM's general note to fact notes. For example, I have one fact note just called Narrative. The problem is that ancestry doesn't support fact notes and RM is storing its own fact notes in ancestry as notes to sources that are sort of dummy sources - my terminology for what RM is doing, not the official terminology. I have not played with those things enough to know who well they would suit your needs. Nor have I played with RM's general notes in ancestry enough to understand if it's possible to override the privatization.

Jerry

#5 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:18 PM

The 'issue' lies in the design of Ancestry Tree and I suspect there is very little that RootMagic's developers can do about that.

Ancestry's own 'Help" on the Notes/Comments states:

"Use notes to record facts, stories, tasks, or thoughts about people in your tree. Only you and anyone you’ve invited to view your tree can see notes you’ve written. Comments are more public-facing; if your tree is public, any comments you make on a deceased person in your tree will be public as well."

So 'Notes' are always considered to be Private in Ancestry Trees, but 'Comments' (for deceased people) aren't and that's Ancestry's declared intention.

Mervyn

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#6 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:44 PM

Bill,

Yes, we are talking about the same note field. I called it a general note field for the person.

I was concerned after reading your post as to what happens to these type notes when the RM record is transferred to Ancestry. I ran a test, and I found the test note under the tools icon in Ancestry. I also saw the comment about it being privatized. If I were using the field like a fact field then no one else would be able to see it. 

Like Jerry said in his post, I have moved away from using the general note field in favor of fact notes, but I did this long before TreeShare, just for different reasons.

I have started using a couple of fact types like "biography", "Research Notes" (I created that one), etc. when I do not want to put the note under a regular fact. I've not seen any problems in Ancestry when doing this so far.

However, I'd also be interested in how to over ride the "privatization" of the general note in Ancestry.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#7 weishaupt

weishaupt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 05:31 PM

Thanks much for the help. So my options seem to be;

1) find that override for Ancestry notes

2) set up biography fact - nice idea

3) copy & paste to word doc and add to Ancestry Gallery

The override would still leave a biography in the tools pulldown - no one will look there for sure 

Will experiment with the biography fact

Started experimenting with the word doc in Gallery

Faced with a big task I see to get this done. Wonder what the Ancestry text limits might be for facts.

thanks much for guidance

Bill

#8 weishaupt

weishaupt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:11 AM

So my options seem to be;

1) find that override for Ancestry notes

2) set up biography fact - nice idea

3) copy & paste to word doc and add to Ancestry Gallery

So I find this;

1) no override found

2) added the new biography fact but lost format for paragraphs in Ancestry. Did a complete and difficult edit function but Submit fails with "page unavailable try back later" error (all the time - even with reboot). Paragraphs required for timeline I have done. Ancestry Edit function not at all easy to do - especially 10,000 times.

3) added word doc but new word docs never appearing in the TS "show only changed" list. So looked at "all people" list and finally found the new word doc and uploaded. This means I would have to search out all new Biography Facts from Entire List of people. But also, the new RM Biography Caption was lost in upload to Ancestry Gallery Title and replaced with "Media" as a Title - so hard to find. Renee has this reported to Development Team.

At first, Tree Share seemed a wonderful way to get me up on Ancestry. When Primary Photos were all lost, it was a big hit. Because of all the years of Photoshop work on the Best Family Photos.

Maybe one day.

time to go fishing
thanks for all the time to help me
Bill

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3189 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:44 PM

2) added the new biography fact but lost format for paragraphs in Ancestry. 

This problem has been reported before. Newlines in fact notes are not preserved on transfer from RM to ancestry via Treeshare. Well, a newline in RM notes is really a carriage return and line feed sequence.

RM folks have not indicated whether this is a bug in RM that can be fixed or whether it's a limitation in the ancestry API that can't be fixed. The situation is aggravated because ancestry does not support fact notes. So RM stores its fact notes in a different place in ancestry where ancestry is not really expecting to see them.

Jerry

#10 weishaupt

weishaupt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:09 PM

Thanks Jerry

The more I try to get this to work - the more problems I run into. I now remember the format discussion. I find using Word Docs in Gallery has just as many problems. Sometimes you have to walk away and get away to clear the table.

I now feel I will be required to upload a new tree when some fixes are announced. So going ahead and trying now is a learning process.

Thanks again

Bill with fishing pole

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8045 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:25 AM

Development couldn't get the carriage returns in those fact notes. It's the way they are being stored on Ancestry.  Doesn't mean it might never happen, we just have to find a way to do it. They are preserved in the general notes.

Renee
RootsMagic

#12 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:31 PM

Renee,

I fully appreciate the difficulties with trying to start up a new program, such as TreeShare and WebHints, when the Ancestry and Roots Magic data bases are so different.

However, I've been trying to make the sync tools work every since the release of the new tools. I've spent so much time trying to figure out, or use, the many work a-rounds for problems like this one (no text carriage returns), that I have now pretty much given up. I'm back to using Ancestry as a research resource, and WebHints to identify possible leads. I'm copy pasting data that the Ancestry API either doesn't transfer, or that is messed up in the process. I'm focusing on getting my tree in RM correct and not worrying about trying to make it match Ancestry through TreeShare. I'm thinking that at some point in the future I may just reload my RM tree to Ancestry after most of these problems are fixed.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#13 weishaupt

weishaupt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:41 PM

DITTO

#14 karibeth61

karibeth61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:42 PM

I'm a little late coming in on this conversation, but I do have a suggestion for sharing notes on Ancestry.com so others can actually see them. I would suggest opening the note in RM, expanding out the note screen as much as necessary, then using 'print screen' and pasting the image of the note into an image editing program. (I use Window's Paint program.) Crop off the unwanted background, then simply save the image (as jpg or png). This way you get your notes exactly like they are typed into RM, but you will, of course, have to attach them to the individual on Ancestry.com

A couple of notes to doing this: 1) go to the last line of the note and do a couple of carriage returns else the cursor will also show up in the notes (it will be easier to crop them off without cropping the note itself); 2) turn off spell-checker, otherwise, the squiggly red lines under any words the dictionary doesn't recognize will show up on the image, too; 3) if the note screen can't be expanded out far enough to show the whole note, you'll have to piece it together; and finally, 4) you may wish to add a title to the top of the note and a copyright notice to the bottom before doing a print screen (one of the biggest complaints I've seen in the past is Ancestry users complaining about other users stealing their work and not receiving proper credit).

I know it may sound like a lot of fussing around, but it really doesn't take very long. I have all my genealogy related emails, Word documents, etc saved in image formats so I can view them quickly without having to open a bunch of different programs. (On the down side, if anything changes I have to save an updated image.)

Kari

#15 AlanWatson1958

AlanWatson1958

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:46 PM

On the Ancestry notes being hidden, I like the idea of setting up a fact (biography, genealogy or whatever). I came up with a rather clumsier option. I want people invited to my Ancestry tree to see notes/queries that I have about a person, so I add them to the ancestry comments field. When I realised that these weren't being copied to Rootsmagic I started (a long job) copying them to the notes field too. It's a bit more maintenance, but just a copy/paste per person with a note.

Alan

#16 weishaupt

weishaupt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:03 AM

Very good thoughts. I explored the image idea you gave. Then realized I had a lot of effort to revise the .jpg image easily. Reason being - I use the notes to record everything - the search, timeline, observations, conclusions, issues - etc adding everyday - all the time. So do think I need a word processing capability.

I can not live with notes in the Ancestry tools pull down.

Tried Biography Fact - lost formating, Tried Individual Source - lost formating. Tried Word Doc in Media but have to "open a bunch of different programs" like you say.

The one I like the best is using Individual Source. It is right there under Notes. Do a copy - paste. And it ends up right there on the Ancestry Fact Page under Other Sources. But I guess I have to go with adding a Word Doc to Gallery.

Before I start the massive project of transfering .................. I WISH I could find out if the format of the "source text" will be addresed by Development. Can it be fixed?? Or is it a No Go. I know they are in secret room - maybe we can hear a rumor?

thanks

Bill

#17 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8045 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:13 AM

It's on the development list, at this point I can't tell you if it can be fixed or not.

Renee
RootsMagic