Photo

Sentence templates - how to delete or NOT use them?

sentence templates notes narratives

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bonnie3033

Bonnie3033

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:08 PM

I add notes a plenty to individuals and family view too, research notes too. I have no need, then for the built in sentence template. If there a way to delete or bypass it entirely? 

As it is, I take a report to word and edit, a lot of which is deleting the content of built in sentence templates, which are redundant info to what I've added in my notes. I can understand how this feature is helpful to someone who does not routinely or ever add notes, but for those of us who write narratives and explanations of facts and resources, this little feature should be elective...in mind opinion!

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:59 PM

You can delete the default sentence for the Principal or other roles in Lists > Fact Type List. However, the superscript for the footnote will appear in front of the note.

You cannot customise the sentence at the event itself for a person to a null value. You have to enter something, even a space character. Otherwise it uses the default. Whatever you put in, the footnote superscript comes between it and the Note.

Another approach is to customise the default sentences to make the narrative more like a point form. If notes were not included, it would list similarly to the Individual Summary. Jerry Bryan is the leading exponent of this approach for which he has posted some good examples and explanations in this forum. The objective is to minimise not only the repetitive verbiage but also the amount of post-production editing in Word.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3529 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:30 PM

A few possibilities come to mind.

• Do not use RM's sourcing facility at all, which means that there would be no citation superscripts and no duplication between your sources that are in the body of your report via notes (on the one hand) and your citation superscripts (on the other hand).
  • Use RM's sourcing facility, but print only a bibliography instead of footnotes/endnotes. This kind of approach is sometimes used in academic publishing if sourcing information is included in the body of the narrative.
  • Use free form source templates or source templates of your own design to control and minimize the information that's in your footnotes/endnotes to avoid the duplication.
  • Some combination of the above such as using free form templates or source templates of your own design, plus printing only a bibliography instead of endnotes/footnotes.

I'm reminded of some GEDCOM I received decades ago from expert researchers who were using early versions of PAF. Early versions of PAF were very primitive, and what my mentors did was to include a long, single note for individual plus just the basic BMD facts. The large, single note in turn included an extensive narrative for the individual. And the extensive narrative included extensive sourcing information and extensive transcriptions of original source documents such as census records, deeds, wills, death certificates, etc. In many ways, such primitive reports from PAF that were created by expert users were of better quality than you can produce today using the standard sourcing facilities of any modern genealogy software.

Jerry

#4 Bonnie3033

Bonnie3033

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:48 PM

Thank you very much, Tom. Your explanation helps. I do want notes to be sourced so you sparked the idea to customize the sentence to brief intro or title, such as Birth of Dick Smith.

Always enjoy your posts!

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:23 PM

Jerry's are the ones I enjoy the most.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.