24 replies to this topic

#21 pbooth99

pbooth99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:37 PM

An update:

The error message "Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8" does appear to relate to a High Sierra bug concerning both the new AppleFS File System that is a default in High Sierra, and 32 bit applications, of which Roots Magic is one example.

As in, every time I start Roots Magic that error appears in system.log as an error in the Rootsmagic application. Here's one example:

Nov 25 19:07:52 NewiMac RootsMagic[3506]: /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8

I have a very drastic workaround for this.

I uninstalled High Sierra, reformatted the disk as HFS+ and reinstalled High Sierra without upgrading the disk to the new filesystem.

Its not great, but it worked.

Peter

#22 KC1SP

KC1SP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:51 PM

I've been using RootsMagic on my win7 PC with no problems.  I started using RootsMagic for Mac when I switched to a new MacBook Pro in Jun 2017.  While it seems to work mostly, it has a bad tendency to CRASH after being minimized a few times (I use it next to other apps, specifically Photos for Mac).  It gets a popup box that says RootsMagic Error....and nothing else.  No way to continue once that error appears, so I have to Force Quit thru the Application Monitor instead.

I haven't added much NEW stuff on the Mac yet, so I haven't lost anything yet...but can you explain why it continually CRASHES after a few minimizes?

#23 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7584 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:13 PM

Best not to minimize, it is working inside of a CrossOver wrapper and it's losing focus. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#24 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 02:03 PM

I am running RM for Mac on a MBP with High Sierra.  No real problems with freezing, etc., but it still shows version 7.0.1 from November 2016.  I have clicked on "help" then "check for updates" many times, but it keeps saying it's up to date.  Is 7.0.1 the most up to date RM for Mac version?  If not, how can I update to the current one?

Edit, nevermind, chatted with Jackson at tech support.  While the "get info" says the version is 7.0.1, the "about" within the program says 7.5.5.  Weird but ok.

#25 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7584 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 02:48 PM

The 7.0.1 is the version for the CrossOver wrapper around RootsMagic. The 7.5.5.0 is the actual RM version number. 

Renee
RootsMagic