22 replies to this topic

#21 pbooth99

pbooth99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:37 PM

An update:

The error message "Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8" does appear to relate to a High Sierra bug concerning both the new AppleFS File System that is a default in High Sierra, and 32 bit applications, of which Roots Magic is one example.

As in, every time I start Roots Magic that error appears in system.log as an error in the Rootsmagic application. Here's one example:

Nov 25 19:07:52 NewiMac RootsMagic[3506]: /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8

I have a very drastic workaround for this.

I uninstalled High Sierra, reformatted the disk as HFS+ and reinstalled High Sierra without upgrading the disk to the new filesystem.

Its not great, but it worked.

Peter

#22 KC1SP

KC1SP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:51 PM

I've been using RootsMagic on my win7 PC with no problems.  I started using RootsMagic for Mac when I switched to a new MacBook Pro in Jun 2017.  While it seems to work mostly, it has a bad tendency to CRASH after being minimized a few times (I use it next to other apps, specifically Photos for Mac).  It gets a popup box that says RootsMagic Error....and nothing else.  No way to continue once that error appears, so I have to Force Quit thru the Application Monitor instead.

I haven't added much NEW stuff on the Mac yet, so I haven't lost anything yet...but can you explain why it continually CRASHES after a few minimizes?

#23 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7371 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:13 PM

Best not to minimize, it is working inside of a CrossOver wrapper and it's losing focus. 

Renee
RootsMagic