32 replies to this topic

#21 pbooth99

pbooth99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:37 PM

An update:

The error message "Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8" does appear to relate to a High Sierra bug concerning both the new AppleFS File System that is a default in High Sierra, and 32 bit applications, of which Roots Magic is one example.

As in, every time I start Roots Magic that error appears in system.log as an error in the Rootsmagic application. Here's one example:

Nov 25 19:07:52 NewiMac RootsMagic[3506]: /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8

I have a very drastic workaround for this.

I uninstalled High Sierra, reformatted the disk as HFS+ and reinstalled High Sierra without upgrading the disk to the new filesystem.

Its not great, but it worked.

Peter

#22 KC1SP

KC1SP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:51 PM

I've been using RootsMagic on my win7 PC with no problems.  I started using RootsMagic for Mac when I switched to a new MacBook Pro in Jun 2017.  While it seems to work mostly, it has a bad tendency to CRASH after being minimized a few times (I use it next to other apps, specifically Photos for Mac).  It gets a popup box that says RootsMagic Error....and nothing else.  No way to continue once that error appears, so I have to Force Quit thru the Application Monitor instead.

I haven't added much NEW stuff on the Mac yet, so I haven't lost anything yet...but can you explain why it continually CRASHES after a few minimizes?

#23 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7956 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:13 PM

Best not to minimize, it is working inside of a CrossOver wrapper and it's losing focus. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#24 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 02:03 PM

I am running RM for Mac on a MBP with High Sierra.  No real problems with freezing, etc., but it still shows version 7.0.1 from November 2016.  I have clicked on "help" then "check for updates" many times, but it keeps saying it's up to date.  Is 7.0.1 the most up to date RM for Mac version?  If not, how can I update to the current one?

Edit, nevermind, chatted with Jackson at tech support.  While the "get info" says the version is 7.0.1, the "about" within the program says 7.5.5.  Weird but ok.

#25 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7956 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 02:48 PM

The 7.0.1 is the version for the CrossOver wrapper around RootsMagic. The 7.5.5.0 is the actual RM version number. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#26 pbooth99

pbooth99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:00 PM

BTW, installing RootsMagic on a Flash drive instead of the Apple FileSystem internal SSD also seems to work around this issue

#27 sarahchang

sarahchang

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:09 AM

Still working on 10.1.3 tested today! :)

#28 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:57 AM

Finally got it to get past my database hangup/lockup/deep freeze this morning with FamilySearch by unflagging all Web tools in RootsMagic7. Mac OS High Sierra Beta.

Tools > File Options > Web Hints > Turn off "Enable WebHints" after unflagging each individual one. Wow, what a difference!

#29 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 09:03 AM

BTW, installing RootsMagic on a Flash drive instead of the Apple FileSystem internal SSD also seems to work around this issue

I just did this with Mac OS High Sierra Beta. Seems to work very well. I had wiped all .plists. RM7 was not playing nice and not opening my datafile completely so I could make changes from FamilySearch. After removing the .plists, the message that RM7 was not optimized for High Sierra  and to contact the application provider popped up. I was not going to change the file format on the Solid State Drive in my McBook Pro, so I saw this workaround.

Love it! Thanks, pbooth99.

#30 nauvoomom

nauvoomom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:58 PM

I've been using RootsMagic on my win7 PC with no problems.  I started using RootsMagic for Mac when I switched to a new MacBook Pro in Jun 2017.  While it seems to work mostly, it has a bad tendency to CRASH after being minimized a few times (I use it next to other apps, specifically Photos for Mac).  It gets a popup box that says RootsMagic Error....and nothing else.  No way to continue once that error appears, so I have to Force Quit thru the Application Monitor instead.

I haven't added much NEW stuff on the Mac yet, so I haven't lost anything yet...but can you explain why it continually CRASHES after a few minimizes?

I have this problem, too!!  Not just when I minimize, but also when I multitask and use other programs to look at my sources.  

#31 nauvoomom

nauvoomom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:01 PM

Best not to minimize, it is working inside of a CrossOver wrapper and it's losing focus. 

Are you saying that the only way to use the program without it hanging is to not use any other program while it is open?  I have a problem with the program hanging like the commenter above, and I am looking for a way to prevent this problem, since the only way to continue is to force quit the program.  

#32 ladytoad

ladytoad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:56 PM

I just updated my mac to Mohave and get a message that RootsMagic for Mac is not 64 bit. Will this be coming soon ? 

#33 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7956 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:07 AM

RootsMagic for Mac will continue to work with High Sierra and Mojave. It is the CrossOver wrapper that will eventually need to be upgraded to run on 64-bit. Development is in contact with CrossOver on that. For the native Mac version of RootsMagic we will make sure it meets Apple's requirements. "

Renee
RootsMagic