• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ftipple

ftipple

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:02 PM

I installed High Sierra on my MacBook earlier this evening, and had a *very* basic run through with RootsMagic. No problems to report, but I didn't try anything dramatic, and the tree I used is not connected to Ancestry.
Will do some more testing, including TreeShare, before I install HS on my iMac.

Has anyone else installed HS yet?

Fíona

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:12 PM

I have High Sierra on my Mac mini and its running fine. 

Only a small number of testers had issues. From our own testing, we suspect the issues were actually due to High Sierra upgrading the file system to the new APFS (Apple File System) on Apple's own Fusion drives. This apparently caused so many problems for High Sierra beta testers that Apple, in the final official release, removed APFS for Fusion drives.

The poor testers who installed the beta of High Sierra and updated their Fusion drives to APFS must now backup their data and reformat their drives in order to install the final release of High Sierra. A pain, yes, but it's all part of being a beta tester.

Note: Macs that do NOT have Fusion drives (most newer ones) are unaffected which would explain why so many testers didn't have problems with High Sierra.

For more information, see: https://arstechnica....-fusion-drives/

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:19 PM

If you experience issues with RootsMagic after the High Sierra upgrade a complete uninstall/reininstall should resolve any issues.

Drag-and-drop the RootsMagic application icon to your trashbin.

In Finder, select Go > Go to Folder

Type "~/Library/Application Support"

Drag the folder labeled "RootsMagic" to the trashbin.

After going to  ~/Library/Application Support and deleting the RootsMagic folder go back to ~/Library and change it to ~/Library/Preferences and delete the file .com.rootsmagic.rootsmagic.plist

http://www.rootsmagic.com/download/rootsmagic-7/ 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 SCNATE

SCNATE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:11 AM

I cannot bring up roots magic, not sure if its a high sierra problem, I get the following error message.

Initialization error

Crossover is unable to inialize a critical component .

Failed to import cxutils module into Python

see console for errors

the program will now exit

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:30 AM

Do the complete uninstall above and then reinstall RootsMagic. That should fix it.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 jimdrake3

jimdrake3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:26 PM

I too had an issue with RootsMagic after High Sierra install.

I followed instructions to delete and re-install.

However, I don't have my registration number from my download oh so many years ago.

Is there a way to retrieve the number some way?

Thanks

Jim

#7 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:28 PM

http://www.rootsmagic.com/Recover-Key/

#8 BHSNOW

BHSNOW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:36 PM

I installed High Sierra on my MacBook earlier this evening, and had a *very* basic run through with RootsMagic. No problems to report, but I didn't try anything dramatic, and the tree I used is not connected to Ancestry.
Will do some more testing, including TreeShare, before I install HS on my iMac.

Has anyone else installed HS yet?

Fíona

Hello Fiona,

New to the forum and RootsMagic but have run into a problem on my MacBook Pro.

I installed High Sierra today (11-12-17).  I received the error others did:

Initialization Failure

CrossOver is unable to initialize a critical component. Failed to import cxutils module into Python.

See console for errors.

The program will now exit.

I followed Renee's instructions to remove then reinstall and all seems to be working just dandy. The software opened like a first time install but it was able to locate my backed up rmcg files. So all looks good!

Thank you, Renee,

bhsnow

#9 Helen_granola

Helen_granola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:49 PM

Since upgrading to High Sierra, the Rootsmagic software is no longer working for me. I try to open it, but it never opens. I followed Renee's instructions, deleting and reinstalling the RM software. I am still having the same problem... the program shuts down before it ever starts up. :(

Any other ideas, please? Thank you.

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:21 PM

Did you upgrade during the High Sierra beta test?  What type of Mac do you have?

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 Helen_granola

Helen_granola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:41 PM

Running macOS High Sierra, version 10.13.1.  I think my computer just upgraded from Sierra this past week.

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch)

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:33 PM

A complete uninstall / reinstall should have fixed it. Do you want to call into support and ask for Terri. She can remotely see what is happening.

Phone: 801-489-3102 - Mon-Fri 8:00am-5:00pm (MT)

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 Helen_granola

Helen_granola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:30 PM

Thank you, I'll do that.

#14 Helen_granola

Helen_granola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:53 PM

I tried the uninstall/reinstall again today, and it worked this time. I think I was missing this step:

"Delete any and all RootsMagic .dmg files from your computer"

The file you download to install the program I think is a .dmg file?

Anyway, it works now. Thank you. :)

#15 pbooth99

pbooth99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:46 PM

I'm having lots of problems with High Sierra. Slow performance, the app hanging when I do FamilySearcgh stuff.

The system.log is full of errors like this:

Nov 25 19:07:36 NewiMac RootsMagic[3496]: /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
Nov 25 19:07:36 NewiMac RootsMagic[3496]: /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
Nov 25 19:07:36 NewiMac RootsMagic[3496]: /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'
Nov 25 19:07:52 NewiMac RootsMagic[3506]: /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
Nov 25 19:07:52 NewiMac RootsMagic[3506]: /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
Nov 25 19:07:52 NewiMac RootsMagic[3506]: /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8

#16 pbooth99

pbooth99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 07:06 PM

I just tried removing roots magic, the ApplicatIonSupport folder and preferences file and then reinstalling a fresh version.

I still get the same errors written to system.log but now the application doesn't start at all.

#17 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

If you cannot reopen RM then do the complete uninstall / reinstall again, including the CrossOver wrapper around the program.

Complete uninstall of RootsMagic on the Mac

If the Crossover wrapper around the 'RootsMagic for Mac' program needs to be updated, a complete uninstall of the program is needed.

Make sure you have a backup of any RootsMagic data files
Delete any and all RootsMagic .dmg files from your computer
Drag and drop the RootsMagic application icon to your trash bin
In Finder, select Go > Go to Folder
Type ~/Library/Application Support
Drag the folder labeled "RootsMagic" to the trash bin
Go to ~/Library/Preferences and delete the file com.rootsmagic.rootsmagic.plist
Drag and drop the RootsMagic 7 shortcut icon on the Dock to your trash bin
Download and install the latest version of RootsMagic - http://rootsmagic.co...d/RootsMagic-7/

This will completely uninstall RootsMagic for Mac "and" the Crossover programming as well.

After RootsMagic is installed if you still see an issue using FamilySearch the Mac firewall maybe blocking RootsMagic access to the internet. 

http://support.apple.com/en-us/ht1810

When you get into this web site scroll down and follow the instructions under the section that says "Allowing Specific Applications."
Make sure that you follow these instructions that turn the firewall on
Eventually you will get to a screen where you can add RM to the list of apps that are allowed to run on the mac with the security software
Allowing specific applications
To allow a specific app to receive incoming connections, add it using Firewall Options:

Open System Preferences.
Click the Security or Security & Privacy icon.
Select the Firewall tab.
Click the lock icon in the preference pane, then enter an administrator name and password.
Click the Firewall Options button
Click the Add Application (+) button.
Select the app you want to allow incoming connection privileges for.
Click Add.
Click OK.

You can also remove any apps listed here that you no longer want to allow by clicking the Remove App (-) button.

Renee
RootsMagic

#18 pbooth99

pbooth99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:20 PM

Renee,

I tried these instructions again, reinstalled Rootsmagic, and still the application won't start.

I tried creating a new user (that would have a blank profile) and saw the same behavior.

It opens a dialog box, not long enough to see, and when the dialog box closes the application crashes too.

The same errors appear in system.log:

Nov 30 20:00:53 NewiMac RootsMagic[57514]: /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
Nov 30 20:00:53 NewiMac RootsMagic[57514]: /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
Nov 30 20:00:53 NewiMac RootsMagic[57514]: /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
Nov 30 20:00:53 NewiMac RootsMagic[57514]: /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'

I'm assuming that you don't yet have a 64bit version of Rootsmagic?
I'm using an iMac so downgrading to the prior OS would be a pain in the backside.

I imagine the only option that I have right now is to use Parallels, VMWare Fusion
or Virtual Box to run a windows VM and run it from there?

#19 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:09 AM

The error message "Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8" is widely reported on internet fora as caused by a "bug" in High Sierra (Google Search) and probably has nothing directly to do with the RootsMagic/Crossover product , as it appears to be directly related to the introduction of the new MacOS Disk File System and its compression techniques - All very technical!

I'd first, make sure that all the latest High Sierra updates installed. - If you have, 'About this Mac' should show "macOS 10.13.1 (17B1003)". Then, if any further updates are available, then try the RootsMagic installation process again after applying the updates.

Sorry, can't help specifically with the package created from Crossover, as I have always created my own RootsMagic WINE conversion using either 'Wineskin' or 'PlayOnMac' and have never seen any of the reported problems experienced with the Crossover package. 

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#20 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7303 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:47 PM

I just had someone else tell me that Apple advised them to reinstall High Sierra. What happened to them were icons disappearing from their dock. I though it odd to be told to reinstall an operating system over that. But, Apple must be aware of something greater going on requiring reinstalls. The only people that I knew needing to do that were early beta testers of High Sierra with fusion drives. 

Renee
RootsMagic