• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pstaveley

pstaveley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:04 PM

Where possible could keyboard shortcuts be provided for new features? By that I mean where a menu letter is underlined that can be used with the alt key.

For example there is no direct shortcut for color coding. Similarly there are obvious shortcuts in TreeShare for Ancestry function.

Also could as many commands as possible be able to be put as an icon on the toolbar?

Thanks

Peter

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:25 PM

Also could as many commands as possible be able to be put as an icon on the toolbar?

Thanks

Peter

What commands are unavailable as icons on the taskbar?

Left-click on the gray area of the taskbar, select Customize, then the Commands tab. What's unavailable that you feel a need for?

#3 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:09 PM

browsing through the book - there are some ctrl + shortcuts

The color coding is accessed by ctrl+c

The mixing of ctrl and alt shortcuts sometimes fries my brains cells and contorts my keystrokes - but there you have it.

That said - I agree - there should be more keyboard shortcuts.  Would further like the ability to add some user defined keyboard shortcuts for adding repetitive text or navigating to an often used menu item.

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2957 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:24 AM

Press F1 and search for "Shortcut keys"

“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today"

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.0.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 pstaveley

pstaveley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:47 PM

What commands are unavailable as icons on the taskbar? Numerous, but color coding would be a start. Problem list would be another where I cannot find either an icon or a shortcut but which I like to use relatively often to catch data errors.

Thanks for the ctrl+c tip. However, that is an 'unusual' shortcut since everywhere else in Windows that is used to Copy an item or text or an object. However, if there is a standard shortcut then it should be shown in the menu item, like it is already for Spell Checking (F7). Even the color coding dialog box once opened does not have any underlined items (unlike the Find Person Explorer or the Mark Group Explorer). With color coding you either have to use a mouse or tab round all the items.

No one is expected to know all, or any, of the shortcuts but they can be useful if, as you say, you need to undertake a repetitious task regularly.

Thanks for the F1 Shortcut keys list.

All I am asking for is that the development team do their best to comply with then current Windows standards.