• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pstaveley

pstaveley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:52 PM

Is there any reason why you cannot search within groups?

For example, I might want to search for individuals in the 'Main' or 'Other' groups and, say, whose date of birth is before a certain date.

Thanks

Peter Staveley

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3297 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:46 PM

Tools->Color Code People->Named Group, then use Color coding in Search->Person List->Find->Select field ...as one of the criteria

-OR-

From the People Tab, click down arrow to right of <Show Everyone> and choose group name, then sort on Birth Date column by double-clicking that column header. Subsequent double-click sorts other direction.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2701 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:01 PM

As Kevin pointed out, the ability to color code from Groups is very powerful. But it requires that you be willing to destroy your current color coding.

As to the thrust of your question, I don't know why searching within Groups is not supported. Groups are a very powerful feature of RM, but they have not been implemented and supported in anywhere near as complete a fashion as one might hope. Perhaps they will be more fully supported in RM8.

From a technical point of view, searching goes through the entire database one person at a time and tests the search criteria against each person. Depending on your search criteria and the size of your database, a search can therefore be fairly slow. The way the Group table is set up in the RM database, I think searching within a Group would cause a search to be extremely slow if each person were individually tested against the Group table. But there is a better way. If instead of testing each person against the Group table one person at a time, searching would go through a Group one person at a time and test the other criteria against each person in the Group, then searching by Group would be faster than searches are now.

The distinction I'm describing in search techniques may seem like a distinction without a difference, but I'm confident that searching within Groups could be done very slowly or very quickly depending on which approach were taken.

Jerry

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2963 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:59 PM

Slightly off topic but pertinent to Named Group operations. I would like to see (and have wished for) the ability to focus the scope of Duplicate Search Merge to within a Named Group.

This would allow opening of the various search parameters whilst narrowing the focus to criteria like Name or Geography or whatever.

“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today"

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.0.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7306 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:56 PM

Confirming these are both on the enhancement request list.

Renee
RootsMagic