How do you merge "fact types"?  

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1504 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:35 PM

There is no such function in RM, but there is a work-around.

Go to Lists > Fact Type List and make the two (or more) similar fact types IDENTICAL. That means name, abbreviation, what's enabled/disabled, role sentences, etc.

The drag-and-drop your database to a new, blank RM file. The identical fact types will be merged.

#3 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:00 AM

It would be nice if there were a way to merge fact types, Renee.

When dragging and dropping into a new blank RM file, I'm wondering if these will appear in the new file:

shared events

places that are linked to no one

sources that are linked to no one

The "Dragging and dropping people" page in the Help section doesn't mention anything about it.

~ Debbie

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1504 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:42 AM

I'm under the impression that shared events (although I don't use them) will survive a drag and drop operation, but unused places and sources will be deleted.

There are, however, other possible ill-effects of a drag and drop. RM will allow us to write long notes into a fact description field, but they are limited to about 100 characters during GEDCOM and drag and drop operations. RM should flag the usert when entering too-long of a note, but it doesn't.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8413 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:45 AM

Confirming the ability to merge fact types are on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 BaldEagle7

BaldEagle7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:10 PM

Thanks  :)

#7 cjblythe

cjblythe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:31 PM

I'm including this here because the two usually happen at the same time when merging or downloading sources through Ancestry.com and other genealogy software linking. I'm sure the same would be true once the merge facts function was enabled and it would be nice if all these collateral issues could be addressed at once.

1. Is it possible to copy all sources used for a person in one action and enter them by the person's name? Ancestry.com definitely does not insert sources by main person's name.

2. Is it possible to automatically delete duplicate sources? When downloading Ancestry.com data or during merge, the software does not recognize this and I've ended up with as many as a dozen of the same source used for a specific fact.

Either of these two functions would be SOOOO helpful.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8413 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:12 PM

1. Memorize & Paste works one source at a time.

2. No, but you can go to Lists>Source List and AutoMerge the master sources. It won't remove duplicate sources on the fact level though.

Renee
RootsMagic