• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jhirsh32

jhirsh32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:42 PM

As a means to save time doing data entry, I've been trying to find a way to replicate facts across all the individuals that a particular fact pertains to.  If John and Susan Doe and their seven children move from Boston to New York in 1900, my current process is to enter a MOVE fact for each of the nine individuals.I was hoping that there was some way to just enter this once and then associate it to all members of the family.  I thought about sharing the fact but a) in my example I would consider all nine people as Primary and it sounds like shared facts don't work this way, and B) reading other related topics on here, it sounds as though using shared facts is a bad idea because of issues interfacing with other applications.  Is there another way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?  If only RM memorized facts like it does sources.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3189 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:00 AM

My usual answer to this question is that RM does not support replicating facts and that your current approach is the best you can do.

There is way that does sort of work to replicate facts, but I'm not sure it makes things any easier. For example, suppose your John Doe has the Move fact and you want to copy the Move fact to his son James Doe. You can open your same database temporarily in a second window and Drag and Drop John to your same database. Be sure you drag and drop only John and not any of his spouses, children, or parents. Close your second window. You will now have two copies of John. Edit the second copy of John and delete all his facts and notes and sources except for the Move fact itself. Finally, merge the second copy of John into James. The second copy of John will vanish and James will have the Move fact.

If you decide that you are never going to move your data to any software other than RM and you are therefore happy to use shared facts, then shared facts can be a good solution. But even for shared facts you need to understand that shared facts don't replicate facts in the sense that you are needing to replicate facts. If John Doe was born on 12 Jan 1850 and if you share his Birth fact with his midwife, then you don't want it to look like his midwife was born on 12 Jan 1850. You want it to look like she delivered John Doe on 12 Jan 1850. The sentence template for John's birth will say something to the effect of "[Person] was born [Date] [Place]." without the quotes. The [Date] and [Place] variables are "smart variables" that will add things like prepositions for you. If you don't want them to be "smart variables" and if you want total control over the sentence, then you make your sentence say something like "[Person] was born on [Date:plain] in [Place:plain]." without the quotes. It's the :plain option that makes [Date] and [Place] not to be smart variables. If you are creating a report in a language other than English, you go the [Date:plain] and [Place:plain] route and provide your own prepositions in the language of your choice. With that in mind, the midwife would have a birth witness sentence that is distinct from the birth sentence itself. The birth witness sentence would read something like the following: "[ThisPerson] delivered [Person] [Date] [Place]", where [ThisPerson] is the midwife and [Person] is the person who was born.

To use your Move fact with shared facts you would have one family member be the principle person to the Move and the other eight family members being the witnesses to the Move. The sentence for the principle person would be something like "[Person] moved [Place] [Date]." without the quotes. The sentence for the other eight people (the witness sentence) would be something like "[ThisPerson] moved [Place] [Date]." without the quotes. Unlike the midwife example, the sentences for all nine people are really the same except that you use [Person] for the principle and [ThisPerson] for the witnesses.

Jerry

#3 jhirsh32

jhirsh32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:33 PM

Thanks Jerry.  I had read some of your other comments on other posts (including your midwife example).  Your last bit about using the witness role is the kind of thing I was after.  But I just need to decide if I want to go the route of shared facts.

Jay

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5934 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:21 AM

This, too, may be of interest: http://sqlitetoolsfo...y Fact to Group

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:46 AM

This is a method I have used to "copy" a fact from one person to another in my tree, without "sharing". 

First, I temporarily share the fact from person one with person two.

Second, I enter a new fact for person two (for example, if I shared a census fact, then I create a new census fact for person two).

Third, I copy the fact details from the shared fact in persons two's record and paste into the new fact, including fact notes. Then I copy the shared source and paste it into the new fact. (the shared fact and the new fact will be one above the other once a date is entered).

Fourth, I tag any shared media to person two for the new fact.

Finally, I "unshare" (do not delete the share) person two from the shared fact (which deletes the share for person two and leaves the new fact in place with details/notes/sources/media).

This method  may not save a lot of time, but it does work for quick copies for one or two persons, and I have not found a quicker/ less confusing way.

RickL

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5934 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:42 AM

Rick, if your aptitudes lean this way, then you might find that my SQLite scripts for converting Shared facts to individual ones and for deleting the shares would save you many steps. See Facts - Split Shared to Individual

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:44 PM

Tom,

Yes, I used the script sometime ago and then stopped sharing. I have only used sharing since then for spot copying of a fact as described previously. You are right, it does require many steps. Hopefully the need for a fact copying utility has made it to the wish list for RM.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#8 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:13 AM

I too would like to have a good way to copy/cut and paste facts. It sometimes happens that I find a fact that I record for John Doe #1 which later turns out to actually apply to John Doe #2. I have to then manually copy the information and delete the original. It would be nice if I were able to just cut and paste the fact. 

#9 jagwinn

jagwinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

I gather all information of an individual into a Word.doc, then COPY-PASTE into FACT on RM7. (I use two monitors) Open the children of the original fact, such a MOVED, and create fact then PASTE. (or if you lost the copy, do COPY-PASTE again) and populate the FACT.

As an aside note, I use gvlite gedcom viewer to strip all notes from a gedcom and create Word documents for each person. I then have all information needed when adding individuals to the database or family file.