• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wq5w

wq5w

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:04 PM

My connected RM tree to Ancestry became disconnected for some reason (I did nothing that I know of to cause this).  Now when I connect to Ancestry via TreeShare it gives me the original screen asking me to "Download an Ancestry Tree" or "Upload to New Ancestry Tree".  Is there a way to re-connect my RM Tree to my Ancestry Tree?  I don't want to start over by uploading/downloading new trees.

Thanks,

Alan

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5541 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:02 PM

I don't think you can re-connect a RM database and its formerly connected Ancestry Tree. The "Connected" state results in a table of links between records that is stored in the RM database. RM's "Disconnect from Ancestry tree" button in Tools > File Options deletes those links. When TreeShare is opened, it looks in that table and, if there are no valid links, it offers the Upload or Download option for a fresh connection.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5541 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:05 PM

That said, I have speculated that it might be possible to create one valid link in that table using SQLite and it would be sufficient to re-establish A connection but you would then have to match everyone  else with who knows what complications in matching events and sources.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 wq5w

wq5w

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:10 PM

Thanks for the response.  

That is unfortunate as I really did nothing to cause this issue.  Hopefully whatever bug in the program caused this is fixed in later releases.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7271 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

Often you can simply close RM when that happens and when reopened the connection will be there again.

The other option, if it really was disconnected, is to restore a backup where the connection was there earlier.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 wq5w

wq5w

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:40 PM

Yes, that worked.  Thanks for the suggestion!  I lost some work, however.

I'm curious if this has been identified as a known bug?  

#7 genealogy4primm@earthlink.

genealogy4primm@earthlink.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:34 PM

The TreeShare 'disconnection' might have been caused by a merge of a Person Record into one that was not part of the original TreeShare upload/download. I have seen this once. But that was around the first release of TreeShare. Has not happened again since then.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7271 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:26 AM

Are you sure you don't have more than one RM database you have been working on? One connected to the Ancestry Tree and the other not. You could have opened the one not connected to Ancestry and added data to it. Then open the other copy that was connected and now think you lost the other data.  Go to File>Open>Search for a file to see how many RM database you have on the computer and where they are stored. You can add the Last Edited column to the People view and sort on it to see when you last worked in that database. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 pstaveley

pstaveley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:42 PM

That happened to me today, i.e. a tree disconnected for no reason. In the end I moved the current database to another location (to ensure that it was not overwritten), I restored yesterday's version (always good to make sure RM does a backup before exiting), then I did a file compare between the restored database and the 'current' database to regain today's work. That is now sync'ing fine with Ancestry again.

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7271 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

Closing and reopening RM will often fix this.

Renee
RootsMagic