10 replies to this topic

#1 psinacio

psinacio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:01 AM

Dear All,

I have just started using Roots magic. I have migrated my family tree from FH using GEDCOM and I am now trying to sync with my tree on FamilySearch.

I have used Automatch and selected the people to compare.

My ancestors have "Baptism" tags (BAPM) on GEDCOM/Rootsmagic, and Baptism infos on Family Search as well.

However, when synchronizing using Rootsmagic, the software is aligning "Chris" vs. "Baptism" for comparison and not Baptism vs. Baptism.

Any solution for this?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:17 AM

FamilySearch will use the Christen fact in place of a missing birth fact. It is one of the 4 vital information records they list - Birth, Christen, Death and Burial. A Baptism record would be under other information. I'm not sure how you are seeing a baptism being compared against a christen fact.  Are you on the Share data tab of the FamilySearch Person Tools when you see this?

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 psinacio

psinacio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:16 PM

Hi Renee,

I am on the Share data tab of the FamilySearch Person Tools.

There you can see it shows baptism on Rootsmagic and Chris on FamilySearch.

However, at FamilySearch Tree online it is actually a baptism...

It looks like FamilySearch Tree shows a Baptism online, but when RootsMagic read it, it sees a Christining...

It is a baptism...

Imagens below on the links...

https://photos.app.g...i9Pxz3xu959Y763

https://photos.app.g...eApbag7fURtLvH2

#4 psinacio

psinacio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:18 PM

All my GEDCOM data uses Baptism, since this is the religious name used on the Catholic and Lutheran Churches...

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:15 AM

Thank you for those images. I see you are using Portuguese on FamilySearch. If you change it to English it will say Christen. RootsMagic is only in English. That is why you are seeing "Chr" displayed instead of the Batizado on FamilySearch. It is correct, since only birth, christen, death and burial are used as vital information on FamilySearch. You would need to use the Christen fact in RootsMagic to match with the fact you see in Portuguese on FamilySearch. When you use the baptism fact in RootsMagic it will only display under "Other information" on FamilySearch. 

You can change the baptism to christen on the Edit Person screen. Highlight the fact and click Options. Select "Change fact type", and then select the christen fact. You could just do this temporarily to get your baptism fact over to FamilySearch in the Christen field, then change it back once you are done. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 psinacio

psinacio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:55 PM

Hi Renee,

Thanks for sharing your explanation.

"Christen" is for sure very awkward for us here in Brazil. We always refer to this event as a baptism, or "batismo" / "batizado" in portuguese.

I might have hundreds of "BAPM" tags on my GEDCOM I have imported to Rootsmagic. Is there any automated process inside Rootsmagic to "change" all my BAPM to CHR so that family search align it correctly?

#7 psinacio

psinacio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:05 PM

In Portuguese, we do not have a difference between Christen and Baptism.

It is always Baptism, as a child or adult...

Maybe the best would be to start using CHR...

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:14 PM

They need to be done one at a time in RootsMagic. We have some SQLite users on the forums that might be able to suggest a way to do it outside of RootsMagic. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 psinacio

psinacio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:22 PM

Thanks Renne,

I have changed all facts in FH again prior to creating the GEDCOM...

Now I am using CHR.

#10 jagwinn

jagwinn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

In Portuguese, we do not have a difference between Christen and Baptism.

It is always Baptism, as a child or adult...

Maybe the best would be to start using CHR...

There IS a difference between a christening and a baptism. Baptism occurs when the applicant reaches an understanding of the difference between Good and Evil and seeks Baptism for the remission of sin. Christening occurs to infants before the age of understanding.

#11 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:22 AM

There IS a difference between a christening and a baptism. Baptism occurs when the applicant reaches an understanding of the difference between Good and Evil and seeks Baptism for the remission of sin. Christening occurs to infants before the age of understanding.

That is just one definition of many attempts to define the differences.  There are, of course, many branches of the Christian Faith that do practice infant Baptism and would fundamentally disagree with any such definition.

A clear and non-factional analysis of most definitions does produce a broad consensus that "all Christenings are Baptisms, but not all Baptisms are Christenings". An exception to that broad acceptance is obviously necessary for those who defined and developed the LDS Database!

I prefer recording family history rather than religious doctrine and if a factual record states that "x the son of "y" and "z" was baptised on ..." then thats what gets recorded. 

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"