• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 likessugar

likessugar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:26 PM

I just loaded RM 7.  I have done nothing on RM for about 6 years.  When I tried to input my saved data, it would not load.  When I try to open the CD, my PC immediately goes to the Media Center, where I can watch TV.  Also, the saved data has a peculiar tag, starting with a "RM..."

Do I have to start all over again?  What's the point of saving my data is I cannot recover it?

Help?  I'm old and I hate the thought of starting again!

Barbara

#2 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:14 AM

It would help to know what version of RM you were using when you made the backup.

What is the name of the file for your backup including the filename and the extension [the part after the "."].

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7271 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:59 AM

What file extension is saved on your CD?  

If its a database (.rmgc) file then it won't open on the CD because it's read-only. You would need to copy it your hard drive and then right click - select Properties, and uncheck read-only. Then it should open inside RM. 

If you have a backup (.rmgb) file then you need to use File>Restore in RM in order to open it as a database file. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 likessugar

likessugar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:50 PM

Okay, folks,

First of all thank you for responding - I really appreciate your efforts!

I cannot even open the disk BUT on the bottom of what I somehow copied onto my desktop (I now concede that I am a bit of a flake!), it says 2012-01-02.rmgb

I tried to uncheck the "Read Only" but it was in gray and I could not click the square to remove it.

Since the extension is "rmgb," I should put the disk in while RM is open?  That should be obvious but the last time I put a recover disk in, all kinds of crazy things happened, i.e.: I could not access my hotmail.com emails.  I was even told that hotmail had been merged into Outlook.

Here's a thought: I'm going to the genealogy convention here in Saint George, UT on Friday and Saturday.  If I took my new RM7 and the backup CD, maybe they could help?

Thanks guys,

Barbara

#5 RWells1938

RWells1938

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:45 PM

Barbara

The file with a .rmgb is a backup file and would need to be restored rather than opened. Look under the file menu selection and at the bottom you should see the restore option.

Hope this helps

Roger

#6 likessugar

likessugar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:53 AM

FINALLY!!! I'm not sure how I did it because I sort of remember following your directions on my own, i.e.: I know what "restore" means!

Regardless, I did RESTORE my data - wasn't much but, now I can begin again  :rolleyes:

I appreciate all of you trying to help.  BTW, anybody going to be at the Dixie Center in Saint George tomorrow, 9-15?

Barbara