• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 searchingfamilyhistory

searchingfamilyhistory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:15 AM

I just created a fact with all its details but attached it to the wrong "Henry".  Is there a way to change the fact to a different person without deleting and recreating it all again?  Sort of a Copy & Paste?

I know there is a Change the Fact Type option so having the ability to detached and re-attach to a different person would be great...if it doesn't already exist.

Thank you

#2 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2612 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:23 AM

The capability doesn't exist.

It's long been on the wish list to be able to copy a fact from one person to another. If the "copy fact" capability existed, then you could do the copy and then delete the fact from the first person. An addition to providing a way to move a fact, the copy fact capability would have lots of other useful applications as well. Shared facts do not provide the functionality that would be provided by the ability to copy a fact from one person to another.

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:36 AM

The closest you can come now is to use drag n drop.  Drag the person with the wrong fact to a new database. Clean them up and then drop them on top of the person that should have the fact. Check the box in the merge to include only them and that they are the same person. It will then merge the records. The person will now have that fact. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:46 AM

Hi! My way of getting around the copy of the full citation, once I have, for example a census record citation, set up in A persons fact list, using  couple census or the single census fact.   But I need the same information in the children's Census Citation.

1. Choose fact type  = Census
  2. add Date, Place, Description
  3. Click on Middle box to the right of the record type which is Citation Manager,
  4. fill in all the information that is needed, 
  5. Click enter/close alt+O to close the Detail Text section
  6.  Then use memorize or alt+m.  
  7. Close the Citation Manager
  8. Then go to the next person who needs that same fact, I add a 
  9. fact type= census
  10. Add the date, place and item  in description box
  11. then click Citation Manager
  12. use alt +p  which is paste 
  13. Then have what I needed without re-keying the information.  

I have activated all the Desc /Description for all fact types, so they can be easily used in the sentences.  

I miss the copy of the citation that we had in Family Origins and have wished it would come back to be used in RootsMagic.   

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0