5 replies to this topic

#1 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:54 AM

Because RootsMagic keeps crashing for me (see my other thread about CTRL X in Notes), I wanted the program to open again at the last person I was working on before the crash. I went to Tools > File Options and changed the "Start person when opening this database" selection from "Root person above" to "Last person from previous session"

After restarting RM, it never opens anywhere near the last person I worked on before the crash. Is it supposed to work correctly, or have I found another bug?

However, if I close RM normally (without having to stop it in Task Manager), it does open again at the last person selected in the previous session. 

~ Debbie

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2697 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:09 AM

There really isn't a bug. It's just that the last person is not recorded as you go. The last person is only recorded as a part of the normal shutdown process. So in the event of a crash, the last person is not recorded.

Even though it's not really a bug, there is a functionality problem for the user. I suppose the problem could be solved if RM would record the last person as it went instead of during shutdown. But doing so would slow all RM operations down a bit. I'm not sure if the slow down would be enough to be noticeable or not.

Jerry

#3 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:38 PM

That might be a good feature request, if it didn't slow down RM. Or the CTRL X bug will get fixed and I won't have to worry about RM crashing. :-)

~ Debbie

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7271 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:56 AM

For now don't use Ctrl-X, use right-click cut until this is fixed.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2697 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:57 AM

This thread just reminded of an ancient bug in RM that I don't think the developers ever accepted as a bug. I used to work on two machines a lot, and I used a shared backup folder to get my RM database back and forth between my two machines. So on one machine, I would shutdown RM including doing the backup. Then, on the second machine I would restore the backup rather than opening the database, and where the backup file I was restoring was the one I had just made on the first machine.

This worked great except that I never had the correct "last person" when I switched between machines. That's because the RM exit procedure was doing the backup before setting the last person correctly. It was very frustrating. The problem could indeed be solved it RM set the "last person" as it went instead of when it was exiting. But absent doing it that way, the backup procedure should set the "last person" before it does the backup, no matter if the backup is automatic or manual.

Jerry

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7271 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:03 AM

Confirming that is on the enhancement request list.

Renee
RootsMagic