5 replies to this topic

#1 Valen

Valen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:05 PM

Dear all,

I was having doubts if including this question here or in tips/hints, sorry for the wrong allocation in case.

Essentially, I have imported my family tree maker file into RM7, in fact I am evaluating to migrate to RM7 full version. I found a couple of topics that I would like to clarify

The first one is the sources, when I made the import I noticed that the link between sources and related media is broken, so now I have a significant number of media unlinked. Link to the persons remains ok. In fact instead of creating a source per source, it created a source per citation, so I know have hundreds of citations. Is there any way to fix this?

Finally, I have not been able to test the tasks (as using the essentials), how tasks are imported from FTM? Has somebody did it?

Thanks

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:21 AM

I think your FTM Tasks become RM To-Do Items. That would be in the full version. 

For you source media you might not be looking in the right place. It won't be a check mark in the media column for the fact. You need to open the source and go to the media tab to see it.  You can look in the person's media album and select "All Media" to see it. Just click the Media button on the Edit Person screen to get there. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Valen

Valen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:52 PM

So what is happening actually is the following:

- If I click in the profile, then I go to media I can see my original documents including the citations.

- If I click on sources of the person I can see the documents as well.

- If I click on "Source List..." I have a list of the original list of sources where documents are coming from, when I click on a source I cannot not see the link between the source and the documents.

Essentially, If I am working with a source (City Civil Registration of a specific location), how can I see all documents linked to this source?

Concerning the To-do items, is there any way to see how is imported by RootsMagic?

Thanks

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:32 AM

The Source List will only display the Master Source fields and the media attached on that level. Most media is attached on the citation level. The only way that is visible is if you open the Citation Manager on the fact level. You could use the Multimedia List to see which citation and sources have media attached. Check only those options in the report settings so you can narrow it down just to them. 

I checked and yes the FTM Tasks do come into RM as To-Do Items. There isn't anyway for you to see that in the free RM Essentials version though. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Valen

Valen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:55 PM

Thanks, I think I get it. Is there any kind of video or training that describes how the sources are working in RootsMagic?

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:18 PM

31. New Source and Citation Features in RootsMagic 5  (same for RM 7)
http://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars/

Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FTM import