Photo

Privacy-Does Disable WebHints Stop the "Silent-Behind Scene" Search Interface of My RM Database?

Privacy WebHints TreeShare

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 andhaugh

andhaugh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:14 AM

I understand that if I disable WebHints then the "behind the scenes" silent search of my RM database will stop returning "hints" for people in my database.  However, DOES DISABLE OF WEBHINTS ALSO STOP ALL 3RD PARTY SILENT SEARCHES FROM HAPPENING of my RM database?
I don't know how TreeShare interface works, but I know that I do not want any 3rd party running queries of my desktop RM database.  I know MyHeritage says they destroy the queries after running them without my knowledge, and I don't know what Ancestry.com policy is. 

I don't want to worry about changes in user terms of 3rd party vendors (ancestry, myheritage, family search, findmypast, etc) so I don't want them having access of my database because it could someday be used to recreate it using the unique query commands.  More easily said is DOES DISABLE WEBHINTS PREVENT THE AUTOMATIC 3RD PARTY QUERIES?  

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7271 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:54 AM

If you go to Tools>File Options>Webhints you can disable any WebHint provider you want. You can also uncheck the box "Enable WebHints" to turn them all off. Once unchecked it won't send search queries for hints to the providers.

Renee
RootsMagic