• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FrustratedCarolyn

FrustratedCarolyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:40 AM

It seems that after the last update, I can no longer print the pedigree chart.   There was an update available, and so I told it to update.   After this update, I was not able to print.   I am using Roots 7 on a Mac running Sierra.  I never had this problem before, and nothing else has changed.   I'd really like to print the charts out so that I can share the information with relatives that I will be seeing towards the end of the month.   Thanks.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7271 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:20 AM

Maybe there is an issue with your print driver or spool. Check that you still have one setup. You can also go under File>Print Setup and make sure its pointing to an existing printer or a PDF printer.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 FrustratedCarolyn

FrustratedCarolyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:04 PM

Renee,

Thanks for responding.  I tried switching it to the other printer in the list via the File>Print Setup in RootsMagic, but when I clicked on print, nothing at all is happening.   I'm not getting any error messages.  

I am able to print from other programs fine.  It is just RootsMagic that is giving me trouble.  

Okay, so I checked in another program to see which printer listed should be the one to use.  (One of them is an old install, and so if a document is sent there, it won't work because that printer is "offline.")   The correct printer should be the first one I tried -- the one that generates an error.   I then opened up my print queue. 

The items will make it onto the print queue with the wrong printer, but they are stuck in the queue because the printer is not connected.

On the correct printer, the items never make it onto the queue in RootsMagic, but are fine in all other programs.   I get a RootsMagic error that says: "RootsMagic Error."  Then, below that it says, "Operation Not Supported On Selected Printer.  Please tell us about this error."   There is a dialog box that you can type in to explain the problem. 

#4 FrustratedCarolyn

FrustratedCarolyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:55 PM

Any more ideas on what might be causing it or how to fix it?

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7271 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:51 AM

Can you uninstall the print driver for the printer that is installed and see a new install resolves it? The other option is to install a PDF print driver and see if you can print and save to that. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 FrustratedCarolyn

FrustratedCarolyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:13 PM

Can you uninstall the print driver for the printer that is installed and see a new install resolves it? The other option is to install a PDF print driver and see if you can print and save to that. 

We had uninstalled and reinstalled the driver earlier due to problems with the scanner.   (We could no longer scan without the update.).    (I think that is what the old printer is that shows up on the printer list -- the one that did nothing.  I think it was the printer under the old print driver.). 

I can't remember when we updated the driver.  It was within the last year.   I can try to do it again, if you think it would help.

#7 FrustratedCarolyn

FrustratedCarolyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:35 PM

OK.   I tried, and it doesn't work.   It seems that our printer is so old that they no longer are issuing updates.   I don't remember how we got the update before -- I think it was because the scanner was scanning everything black, and I looked up the issue online.   I came across a forum somewhere that gave an exact link to download the files I needed.   HP's website no longer has my printer listed, and when I tried their update tool for "other printers," the update failed.  

Since I'm only having problems printing in RootsMagic, I don't want to mess my printer up so that it no longer works in any program.  

I think I'll have to go with the PDF printer.   How do I get a PDF print driver?

#8 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1175 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:54 AM

If you search the web for "PDF print driver" you should see a variety of different possibilities. I'm running Win7, 64-bit, and under Control Panel - Devices and Printers I have 4 PDF drivers. I've been using BullZip for a number of years, but other users will tell you that they like Adobe or CutePDF or some other driver. I've read that Win10 comes with a PDF print driver pre-installed.

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5541 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:55 AM

Is it just the Pedigree Chart that won't print?

what is the model number of your printer?

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:03 PM

What if you save the Pedigree Chart as a Name.PDF file?  Then print the Name.PDF.