10 replies to this topic

#1 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 06:39 PM

I keep encountering issues with TreeShare connectivity. Today, I got a message that said

Connection Error #502

I am using Windows 10 with Windows Defender. I am wired directly into the Uverse (AT&T) modem.

I am trying to UPLOAD data from my RootsMagic tree to Ancestry. Most of the time, I am electing to NOT upload the images.

For the most part, my uploads are either NOTES, or additional sources. Sometimes, I have new events to upload.

I did NOT encounter these issues during the beta testing. During beta testing, I worked with small files and with my big file. I'd have to review my notes, but I know I tested working with individual events on the small files and I believe I also tested it on an uploaded large file.

On Ancestry, I uploaded my RM data into a new tree. This new tree is the one RM is trying to connect to.

Is there a way to connect RM to a second tree? I would like to test a different tree -- but I don't want to lose my connection to my current tree until it is verified that my tree is the issue.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5459 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:18 PM

What do you mean by "connect RM to a second tree"? You can connect more than one database file to the same Ancestry Tree, e.g., by drag'n'drop a subset of one TreeShared database to another. You can have different databases connected to different trees. You can copy a TreeShared database, Disconnect the copy and upload it to a new Tree. There's a caveat about Ancestry Sources becoming Other Sources as a consequence - see http://sqlitetoolsfo...pact#Disconnectbut preserve Ancestry Sources links for next Upload

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:57 AM

What do you mean by "connect RM to a second tree"? You can connect more than one database file to the same Ancestry Tree, e.g., by drag'n'drop a subset of one TreeShared database to another. You can have different databases connected to different trees. You can copy a TreeShared database, Disconnect the copy and upload it to a new Tree. There's a caveat about Ancestry Sources becoming Other Sources as a consequence - see http://sqlitetoolsfo...pact#Disconnectbut preserve Ancestry Sources links for next Upload

So, I could make a copy of my database and upload this new database to Ancestry as a totally new tree and experiment with the TreeShare?

I'm going to try this to see if the connectivity issues go away.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5459 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:42 AM

Not sure if you wanted an answer, but, yes.

So, I could make a copy of my database and upload this new database to Ancestry as a totally new tree and experiment with the TreeShare?

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:08 PM

Everything was going great with my new tree until the last 15 minutes.

It locked up when I was trying to accept hints. I had to use Task Manager to end RootsMagic. I re-opened RootsMagic and clicked the TreeShare icon. RootsMagic is locked up again.

Is Ancestry having issues?

Do I need to change something in Windows Defender to allow TreeShare thru on a consistent basis?

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:37 AM

You don't happen to have more than one antivirus or firewall software on your computer do you? They will conflict which each other and cause freezing. Internet filters can do the same thing. Have only one of each type of software and make sure RM is allowed access to the internet through them.  

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:02 PM

The only antivirus I'm running is Windows Defender. I've checked the firewall settings and RootsMagic is allowed.

I was just in the process of running TreeShare. It was very slow 'Collecting changes from Ancestry' and got a message indicating an issue with the connection.

#8 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:11 PM

Running TreeShare

Collecting changes from Ancestry -- has been running for about 15 minutes -- STUCK at 100%

#9 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:29 PM

Had to use Task Manager to close RootsMagic. When I opened RM, it wasn't connected to Ancestry. I clicked on the TreeShare icon to sign in to Ancestry and it locked up again. 

Application Error Log

Fault bucket 50, type 5
Event Name: AppHangB1
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: RootsMagic.exe
P2: 7.5.3.0
P3: 59a040fa
P4: 40c1
P5: 67247104
P6: 
P7: 
P8: 
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WEREB13.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Critical_RootsMagic.exe_6e69296220ab3d2a6bee7e9fe0fa5325a3bd5e91_875853e4_267dede1

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 04949c72-1e19-400c-9161-7dcc72766c76
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 3bdfaa5619e8e00fd9587d322fbc0c84

File no longer in folder

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:49 AM

Run all the File>Database Tools. Then go to Tools>File Options>Ancestry and click "Reset TreeShare".  Now see if you can open TreeShare and it will complete the Collecting Changes from Ancestry.  Let is sit at 100% for a bit it maybe still running, I've seen it take time, especially if there are a lot of changes. 

Since it last opened have you added a lot of new people to your RM database or on the Ancestry tree that need to be linked now?

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:13 AM

Thanks everyone for guidance!

I think I've solved the problem - and it probably wasn't related to RootsMagic. I've made a couple of changes in software/hardware that may have resolved the issue.

First: I didn't realize that Windows Defender was constantly running a scan. When I started investigating processes running at the same time as RM, I found a link to info about Windows Defender consuming lots of resources. The suggested fix was to set it to scan at a particular time each week versus the constant scan. I made the change in Task Management.

Second: Because we were noticing other issues with our Internet connection, I called AT&T and spent some time with them troubleshooting our connection. Their conclusion was that our modem needed replaced. We now have a new modem and our connection doesn't seem to be dropping. [Our theory is that our old modem prioritized IPv4 and that our new modem prioritized IPv6.]

I've been able to run TreeShare without issue several times since making those changes.

Thanks again for helping me think thru the issue.