2 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen G-F

Stephen G-F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:24 PM

I have an old RM backup ZIP file I want to open in RM7 but RM7 is not recognizing the file so cannot open it. I appreciate that I cannot restore this backup file as I would a more recent one with the rmgb extension and have to import it as a RM1-3 file. I think the problem is that the backup file does not have a 'ZIP' extension; it simply shows as a 'Compressed (zipped) Folder' as the file type without any extension so looks like this: stephen's family tree (2011-02-17). I think RM7 is looking for the ZIP extension but without it all I get is a RM7 tree with no data in it; I don't think it can 'see' the data that should be there. The file itself has all its constituent files (33 of them) within it and is 182KB in size; the extracted files (same number) in a separate folder have a size of 1.03MB and these files still appear to be in the ZIP file from which I seek to get into RM7.

Either I am doing something wrong (although I believe I have properly followed the instructions for the import of the zipped file so I must have missed something somewhere?) or the data is corrupt and or not available for import. I would greatly appreciate some help with this; thanks in advance of any help that may be forthcoming. 

Stephen.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7271 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:06 PM

You can only direct import the RM 1-3 database files. Since you have a zip file you can extract the files and all 36+ files that make up the database will now be available in that folder. You then use File>Import>RootsMagic (version 1-3) to import it. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Stephen G-F

Stephen G-F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:06 AM

Many thanks Renee, that worked a treat so now sorted. Stephen.