10 replies to this topic

#1 AlanWatson1958

AlanWatson1958

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:34 AM

Hi,

I have just used the new treeshare functionality that allows you to pick the relevant spouse for each marriage. (I was updating Rootsmagic from Ancestry.)

The first marriages I added were for a person with two spouses, both already in Ancestry and Rootsmagic. This worked like a dream, where in the previous version neither marriage would have been linked to a spouse.

However, subsequent and much more common marriages were less of a success. The most common case is where a spouse and a marriage are being added to an existing person at the same time. Here, when you try to add the marriage, you get the response 'This person has no partner to add this event to'  even if you have already 'added' the spouse in the treeshare dialogue. Instead you need to go through a two stage process, first adding the spouse and accepting changes (which removes the person and the new spouse from the list of people with changes), and then going back and then going back to the same person and adding the marriage.

This is obviously not ideal, especially when people including me have been commenting that treeshare is too labour intensive.

Personally, I think that the new function is an advance even so - you can only successfully automate things without causing problems if you can first get them to work without introducing errors - but it would obviously be good if a subsequent release could include spouses about to be added by treeshare as well as those already existing in Rootsmagic.

Alan

#2 Pilgers

Pilgers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:49 AM

Hi,

I'm having the same problem, although I'm happy that the new marriages are easier to add.

Having amended the information on Ancestry, I then run TreeShare on RM. I add the new spouse or spouses first and then go back to add the marriages. The issue I have is that it is fine if I remember which person I was amending but if I'm distracted and go back to deal with the marriages later, I can't always remember the names of the people.  Missing marriages don't seem to trigger a "change" once the person has gone through the Treeshare process. If I can remember the names I go back into TreeShare and uncheck the "only show changed people" box.  Once I've found the person, the marriage shows with a little box beside it on the Ancestry side as if it is a change and I'm able to add it successfully. What I'm not sure of is how many have I missed?  Is there a foolproof way of showing these without me having to download the whole tree from Ancestry again?

Jane  

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7271 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:19 PM

Alan - it's working by design this way. You have to bring over the spouse before you can assign the marriage.  If development had an easier way that worked they would be doing it.  Doesn't mean they won't stop trying.

Jane - go to Tools>File Options>Ancestry and uncheck "Remove from "changed" list after accepting changes".  This will allow you to add the spouse and then go back and add the marriage to them. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Pilgers

Pilgers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:35 PM

Thank you Renee.

I have a test tree and I was experimenting with it earlier this evening to see if that setting would enable me to see the marriages that I hadn't actioned.  I added 3 fictitious spouses and marriages to one person in Ancestry and then ran TreeShare.  At first I found that I still didn't see the outstanding marriages so I deleted the spouses and marriages. I then saw your response and have tried again. This time I added all the spouses and only one marriage.  I found that the other 2 marriages were still outstanding when I went back into TreeShare. I'm not sure why it didn't work before as I can't replicate what I was doing earlier.   

Is the setting "Remove from "changed" list after accepting changes" universal to all my linked trees or is it individual to each tree? 

Many thanks

Jane

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7271 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:04 PM

That would be a universal setting, even though it appears in File Options.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Pilgers

Pilgers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:34 PM

I had another go at working out what I'd been doing when the marriages didn't go over properly.

Adding marriages does seem to work as intended but the problem occurs if I add a whole family group. For instance if, on Ancestry, I add a person, their spouse, their marriage, their children and then spouses of the children, the marriages of their children don't transfer to RM and they don't show up as pending changes. 

I can understand this behaviour but if users see that when they add a new person, the marriage appears to be included when the child's spouse is added then they may not be alerted to the fact that the marriage isn't there.

I have screenshots but I can't work out how to attach them - if attachment is supported.

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:47 PM

I have screenshots but I can't work out how to attach them - if attachment is supported.

You can upload screenshots to an image-sharing service like postimage.org -or- imgur.com
THEN just paste the direct URL link(s) of the full-size screenshot(s) into the body of a post

-or- use the editor toolbar (by clicking on the image icon to the left of the <> icon) to embed them

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7271 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:58 PM

I had another go at working out what I'd been doing when the marriages didn't go over properly.

Adding marriages does seem to work as intended but the problem occurs if I add a whole family group. For instance if, on Ancestry, I add a person, their spouse, their marriage, their children and then spouses of the children, the marriages of their children don't transfer to RM and they don't show up as pending changes.

I can understand this behaviour but if users see that when they add a new person, the marriage appears to be included when the child's spouse is added then they may not be alerted to the fact that the marriage isn't there.

The only way to get marriages to come in is in a full download of the Ancestry tree. When you import an individual the marriage won't come with them. There isn't a way to add a person's children and their children's spouses at the same time. You need to do that on the child's profile to get their spouse. The marriage has to be added after adding the spouse. The way you have been adding them won't make it come up on pending changes since they just came in from Ancestry. You should however see the checkbox to add the marriage afterwards while on the child's profile.

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Pilgers

Pilgers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:31 PM

Because any "new" children are listed at the bottom of a new or changed person on the Ancestry side, I've been adding them at the same time. Would it be good practice to initially add the new or changed person and their spouse and then add the marriage separately and then add the children from the "only show changed people" list?

Would it be even better practice to add everyone from the "only show changed people" list and then add marriages afterwards without adding anyone extra shown on the Ancestry side?   I don't want to create extra work for myself but I do want accuracy. I'd assumed (and you know what that does) that adding the children etc from the Ancestry side would be ok just because I could!

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7271 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:34 AM

It shouldn't make any difference how you add people. You just need to remember to add their marriage afterwards. I think it's going to be a personal preference on your work flow so experiment until you find what is comfortable for you. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 Pilgers

Pilgers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:36 AM

Thank you Renee

Jane