• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lorluk

lorluk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 04:01 PM

was not sure where to post this so opted for a new topic....fyi i used to use PAF and it was wonderful, i knew it like the back of my hand. sadly since moving to MAC that is not an option. So i found Rootsmagic which seemed pretty good. except for now....

i am running most recent version of roots magic. tho i have not been using it in quite some time i recently got into it again. 

my 120gb hard drive on macbook was getting full so i opted to copy all my genealogy folders to external drives figuring i could access those files from my mac. well, not so. the folder was greyed out. 

i did manage to make a copy of that folder and copied the family file to my HD and got my data opened.  

been having lots of little issue but maddening. I opened on macbook the family file and entered some new individuals and updates to a few others. at that point i did not do a backup. so when I saw that my info was not in the file, i again reentered it. and did a backup.

today i logged into enter another persons info and found that all the info i had entered previously is not there. i could not open the backup file .rmgb either. so what good is that file if one cannot open it. 

so first off, what am i doing wrong in that my info is not being saved in the file i am working on?

i will keep trying to figure this out while waiting for a reply.

thnx

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2687 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:50 PM

I'm not a Mac person, but I do know that RM saves your data as you go on a Mac just like it does on a PC. You do not have to do a File->Save as you do with many programs. Indeed, RM doesn't even have a File->Save option.

When you shut down RM and come back to it later the same day or on another day, how do you start it up? The correct mode of operation is to start the RM program and re-open your RM database with File->Open. Do not double click your RM database or anything like that as the way to open the file. And when you do a File->Open from within RM, what do you see? You should see a list of all your RM databases, and for a lot of users just starting out there will be only one RM database.

Jerry

#3 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:27 AM

Some thoughts

How is your external drive formatted? Is the Mac happy to read and write to that drive?

How are the Folder Options set in Tools/Program Options? If the Y drive is set here, then RM is set to use folders within you Mac user data.

#4 Walt31

Walt31

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:26 PM

I have a similar problem.  My Lexar drive is formatted and stores all kinds of files on my iMac using Sierra.  However, trying to backup my RM file and save it to my Lexar flash drive causes all kinds of problems.  I have been unable to restore a file from my flash drive.  What am I doing wrong.  RM is using the latest version and Sierra is up to date.  I want to be able to take a copy of my RM file to the FHC but have not been able to open it.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:02 PM

Are you using File>Restore to open the backup again?  Some flash drive you can't go between a Mac and PC with, so that might make a difference on the FHC computer seeing it. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:31 PM

1. Paf is long dead on both mac and pc.

2. A flash drive needs to be formated as MS DOS to be read by both macs and pcs. Disk utility can reformat your flash drive but that will also erase whatever is on it.

3. Rootsmagic on the mac runs inside a fake windows xp environment or "bottle" and is not a normal mac program. You should keep your RM7 database on your mac and use the tools program options settings to tell the program where to look and store it. You have to open RM7 files via the windows menu and not the normal mac menubar above it.

4. I think you do not have a "Tidy" mac to consume 120GB of space. Check your folders for junk and large items to store on an external drive. Next time buy a 256GB mac to have plenty of room. Computers need at least 20% of empty space to work well.