• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ToRoot57

ToRoot57

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:14 PM

Increasingly important to many Genealogist and even the casual hobbyist is proofing sources and visually tracking ones work in a Genealogy database such as Rootsmagic instead of relying on outside programs and processes (which I currently do). What would be helpful is an option to add little icons for Birth, Marriage, Death, Burial, Father Relationship and Mother Relationship icons (or stars like Evidentia has) to indicate that proofing has been completed instead of going into each individual fact and looking at the Proof drop down (Proven, Disproven, Disputed) in the Edit Person screen. Navigation is everything and the less clicks the better. These icons or stars could be put in the Edit Person screen between the source icon and the camera (media) icon with a checkmark next to a fact type for each listed above. This probably would be best as an optional feature as some may not care to use it and prefer less clutter or less screen busyness.

A better suggestion yet would be a separate screen (maybe initiated from the right click context menu) that is similar to the Edit Person Screen with all the tools for the Genealogist who is proofing their source such as a place to put Proof Statements (similar to RM Notes), tracking proof progress for the events listed in the paragraph above and a place to add source media to either copy/paste or enter data to possibly catalogue the source information and your analysis of each claim. Maybe even a special Proof Report template. Incorporating possibly the already Evidence Explained portion already in RM. These kinds of tools may introduce and help many new to Genealogy and those who only name collect without validating their sources maybe get into this habit of proofing which helps the community as a whole.

I would be happy to Beta test if such features would be taken seriously.

#2 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:40 AM

Love this suggestion. Facts have a "Proof" dropdown.  If disproven or disputed it visibly changes the fact to red with a crossout.  Would appreciate if proven would similarly change the appearance (perhaps bold green) and if there was some difference between disproven and disputed.

#3 dandennison84

dandennison84

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:32 PM

Would be nice if there were a programmatic interface between Evidentia and RM instead of using GEDCOM.

#4 ToRoot57

ToRoot57

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:59 PM

I agree dandennison84. Perhaps an add in to RM similar to Gensmarts.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:56 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 ToRoot57

ToRoot57

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:10 PM

Thanks.

#7 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1174 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:46 PM

I find the Proof and Alternate Name > Name Type dropdowns to be equally a waste of my time. Neither can be used in any effective report, nor in a Search filter, nor in the Sentence Template language. These are both areas in which better utilization of the stored decision/info would be greatly appreciated.

When looking for which direction to continue research, wouldn't it be nice to be able to:

Mark group > Select by data field > Any fact > Proof > is disputed (etc., etc.) ???

Wouldn't it be great if the Sentence written for an Alternate Name could include the Name Type choice (birth, maiden, married, etc.) ?

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:01 PM

That is on the enhancement request list.

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 momakid

momakid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:21 AM

How about adding a not married to the Name Type drop down?  I have people in my tree that were never married but have children. Of course, when they are not married that Unmarried be displayed next to the m of the father and that the nametype field in the nametable file contain the new option.  So that when the raw data is querried, it can be found.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Proof, GPS, Evidence explained, Tracking, Tools