• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lbudgar

lbudgar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:46 PM

When I launch RM, I get the little spinning beach ball and the top menu (File, Edit, etc.) and then it quits before it even opens a file. Has been happening all day, but never happened before today. I thought it might be a problem with my permissions (because I've been mysteriously having that problem with other programs) but when I checked that, all was fine.

Anyone know what could be happening here? Many thanks in advance!

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:32 PM

Move the database it is trying to open RootsMagic with. There maybe an issue with it. Then see if you can open RootsMagic without it.  Once RootsMagic opens you can try to open that database. I would run the File>Database Tools on it.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 lbudgar

lbudgar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for this suggestion, Renee. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to solve the problem. Here's what happened:

I moved the files (there were several -- and for some reason they were in Documents). I just created a new folder within Documents and named it RootsMagic files and moved all the associated files over there. Then I went to open one, and I got a dialogue box stating that there was no application to open it. But when it asked me to select the program to open it, I was able to select RM -- and then nothing happened. It seems as though it's not recognizing installation of the app, though I've been using it for several weeks now. 

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:36 PM

Sounds like you are clicking on the database file to open RootsMagic. Do it the other way around. Open RootsMagic first on your Mac. Then see if you can use File>Open inside of RootsMagic to open the file. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 lbudgar

lbudgar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:53 PM

Tried that too. It shuts down before I can even try to open a file.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:56 PM

I see we have been talking on the RootsMagic Users Facebook group too. Glad to see the uninstall / reinstall worked.

Renee
RootsMagic