9 replies to this topic

#1 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:04 AM

First off I'd like to thank the forum participants for the excellent advise on place and place details, my cleanup and progress towards being able to consistently generate maps is really improving.

One place I'm still having some issues is GeoCoding. There seems to be an issue with GeoCoding when the there a city with the same name as the county. For example I can GeoCode Pawnee, Pawnee County, Oklahoma, USA to Pawnee, Pawnee, Oklahoma, United States no problem, but Pawnee County, Oklahoma, USA is not recognized. 

Since my initial understandings of how to use Place and Place Details correctly were off-base, I'm hoping someone here can educate me on how I could get a GeoCode reliably (and without manually doing it) for counties.

#2 skyelaird

skyelaird

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:58 AM

Anyone doing Geocoding? It does seem rather odd and I'm having similar issues

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3109 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 02:00 PM

For example I can GeoCode Pawnee, Pawnee County, Oklahoma, USA to Pawnee, Pawnee, Oklahoma, United States no problem, but Pawnee County, Oklahoma, USA is not recognized.

Anyone doing Geocoding? It does seem rather odd and I'm having similar issues

Yes, I do a lot of Geocoding and the present Rootsmagic functionality has many oddities and is disjointed in many ways resulting in far too much manual geocoding which is also easier in other software packages.

Let me take the first example here of "Pawnee, Oklahoma, United States";

If I look it up in Gazetteer I get a match so I copy and paste to the Place, all should be good and in line with Rootsmagic but it's not. I click edit on "Pawnee, Oklahoma, United States" in the Place List and then click the Geocode button and nothing happens???

I click the automatic Geocode option on Place List to go through all my Places and when the exception list comes up "Pawnee, Oklahoma, United States" is on it so not recognized. I select "Pawnee, Oklahoma, United States" the Gazetteer match appears on the right identical to my input, I accept it and now all is well???

Sadly this has been the case for many years and never addressed along with the many other short comings of Place Management. In my opinion it has become almost normal for Rootsmagic to introduce a feature, add it to their unique selling points but never finish it to a fully rounded and functional standard.

I, for one, expect some stellar improvements in Place Management in the next version, until then I think manually geocoding is the only time consuming option.

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7780 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:57 PM

It does have a problem with ambiguous place names. Pawnee, Oklahoma, United States could so be Pawnee, Pawnee, Oklahoma, United States.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2986 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:51 PM

It does have a problem with ambiguous place names. Pawnee, Oklahoma, United States could so be Pawnee, Pawnee, Oklahoma, United States.

I can't resist. By strict application of the Place Name Standard, there is no ambiguity. That's because under the Place Name Standard, "Pawnee, Oklahoma, United States" means " Pawnee County, state of Oklahoma, country of United States" and " Pawnee, Pawnee, Oklahoma, United States" means "Pawnee (city or town), Pawnee County, state of Oklahoma, country of United States".

I have many criticisms of the Place Name Standard, chief among them being that it can be highly ambiguous for a reader of my reports who might not understand all the nuances of the Place Name Standard. To disambiguate a Place Name for the casual reader, it seems to me that a more complete name of a political sub-division needs to be printed than is supported by the Place Name Standard, such as Pawnee County, Oklahoma to distinguish it from the city or town of Pawnee or whatever political sub-division Pawnee is. It seems rather rich irony that RM is being hoisted on its own petard of the Place Name Standard if RM itself can't disambiguate Pawnee, Oklahoma, United States from Pawnee, Pawnee, Oklahoma, United States

Jerry

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3109 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:11 AM

To disambiguate a Place Name for the casual reader, it seems to me that a more complete name of a political sub-division needs to be printed than is supported by the Place Name Standard, such as Pawnee County, Oklahoma to distinguish it from the city or town of Pawnee or whatever political sub-division Pawnee is.

And I can't resist either, the person who overcomes unabating desire to enter their own text version of Places and where Given Names and Surnames are unknown will deserve a big pat on the back.

But wait a moment, I can see that "Pawnee, Oklahoma, United States" means " Pawnee County so why can't Rootsmagic?

Why can't Rootsmagic facilitate some user desires to have the word "County" inserted in reports without needing to stray from the present standard?

Why cant Rootsmagic facilitate inserting "LNU", "MSU", "Unknown", "_____" or whatever text string the user prefers in reports where a Given Name or Surname is blank, as it should be, therefore overcoming the temptation for users to convolute their name entry?

"Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions"

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Root

#7 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1319 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:03 PM

Why can't Rootsmagic facilitate some user desires to have the word "County" inserted in reports without needing to stray from the present standard?

Why cant Rootsmagic facilitate inserting "LNU", "MSU", "Unknown", "_____" or whatever text string the user prefers in reports where a Given Name or Surname is blank, as it should be, therefore overcoming the temptation for users to convolute their name entry?

1 - I'm one of the RM users who prefers using County (and other such designators), so I turn off County Check. It is simply too annoying to argue with CC on every place entry.

2 - I have picked up snippets of GEDCOMs from Ancestry, WorldConnect, RootsWeb and a whole bunch of other internet sources. One thing I've noticed, but never tried to calculated the% frequency of, is that some GEDCOMs with missing Surnames come to me with the Given Name blank, and the Surname field holding the actual given name. And vice versa. I don't know if that's a problem with some other program or websites implementation of GEDCOM (which we know is very unevenly supported), but I do not think it happens during the RM import. So I avoid using blanks for Given Name or Surname.

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3109 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:47 PM

1 - I'm one of the RM users who prefers using County (and other such designators), so I turn off County Check. It is simply too annoying to argue with CC on every place entry.

2 - I have picked up snippets of GEDCOMs from Ancestry, WorldConnect, RootsWeb and a whole bunch of other internet sources. One thing I've noticed, but never tried to calculated the% frequency of, is that some GEDCOMs with missing Surnames come to me with the Given Name blank, and the Surname field holding the actual given name. And vice versa. I don't know if that's a problem with some other program or websites implementation of GEDCOM (which we know is very unevenly supported), but I do not think it happens during the RM import. So I avoid using blanks for Given Name or Surname.

Hmm, I would be interested to hear others experience but I haven't come across the name reversal thing and I thought I had seen it all.

The point I was trying to make is these erroneous name entries and usually to facilitate sorting or avoiding blanks in reports, the sorting needs are now well overcome by Alternate Name once people adopt it's use and if a reporting option existed with a text entry "What to print when a name is Blank" then the user could enter whatever they prefer to see in reports rather than entering incorrect data in their database. If I am giving a report to someone in the hope they fill in the blanks then I quickly on a copy of my database enter the series of underscores to make it obvious where they could add data, I'm sure you are aware that the LNU surname shows 3.5 million hits on Ancestry <_<

Turning that argument to Places I don't see why reporting options could not be added to use the word County or not whilst still trying to maintain some sort of standard for data interchange. I seem to spend more and more time tidying gedcoms from other users just last week I came across a Place "just up from Aunt Sarahs house", I'm still trying to work out who Aunt Sarah is and where she lived.

— Dag Hammarskjold

Root

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7780 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:32 PM

I have picked up snippets of GEDCOMs from Ancestry, WorldConnect, RootsWeb and a whole bunch of other internet sources. One thing I've noticed, but never tried to calculated the% frequency of, is that some GEDCOMs with missing Surnames come to me with the Given Name blank, and the Surname field holding the actual given name. And vice versa. I don't know if that's a problem with some other program or websites implementation of GEDCOM (which we know is very unevenly supported), but I do not think it happens during the RM import. So I avoid using blanks for Given Name or Surname.

The only time I have seen the surname and given names reversed is when the person entered the /slashes/ around the surname incorrectly. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1319 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:33 PM

.... just last week I came across a Place "just up from Aunt Sarahs house", I'm still trying to work out who Aunt Sarah is and where she lived.

<grin> I've also seen a few that fit the pattern of: "By the old oak tree where the Smith barn used to stand" - just kinda useless, eh?