22 replies to this topic

#1 wq5w

wq5w

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:10 PM

New user here so this may be an id 10 t error:

Whenever I click Tools:Mapping the map screen opens up and instead of a map I get a black screen.  The place list is there and everything else, but the window where (I suppose) a map is supposed to be is all black. I have checked the firewall and virus program settings and they all say they are allowing Rootsmagic through and not blocking anything.  Running Windows 10.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7271 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:32 AM

I suspect you had RM installed before you upgraded your computer to WIndows 10. In that case you need to install a .REG file.

1. Download the .REG file from http://files.rootsma...Browser-Fix.reg

2. Run the .REG file to add the necessary entries to your Windows registry. It will display several scary warnings. Just keep telling it that “yes”, you do want to make the change.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:15 AM

I have the same problem, although since I'd not used the mapping feature, I hadn't realized it until I saw wq5w's post. I've installed the registry fix in Renee's post and it's made no difference. I've checked that the two new registry keys are in fact in the registry.

I'm running Win 10, 64 bit. My default browser is Firefox.

#4 wq5w

wq5w

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:24 AM

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion. 

I downloaded the registry fix and installed it.  This did not fix the issue.  I then rebooted the computer to make sure and it still hasn't fixed the issue.

I have had Windows 10 installed for about a year.  I installed Rootsmagic for the first time on Monday.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.  My default browser is Chrome.

Thanks,

Alan

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:48 AM

2017-08-24_114107.jpg

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 wq5w

wq5w

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:48 PM

Yes, that is exactly what I am seeing.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7271 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:56 PM

It uses the Bing Map so check that your firewall, antivirus or internet filter is not blocking RM access to the internet.

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 wq5w

wq5w

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:09 PM

Yes, I have checked all of those.  I have even disabled the firewall and virus software and still get the same issue.  Also, all other internet-dependant functions in the program work.  Is there something in Internet Explorer I need to check?  Apparently the program uses Internet Explorer for Google Drive Backup as I had to enable Java Scripts in Internet Explorer in order for Google-Drive Backup to work.  Does it use IE for the mapping as well?

#9 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:13 PM

Bing maps comes through perfectly in my browser. I conclude that neither my firewall, nor Windows Defender (my anti-virus) is the block here. Moreover, RM connects perfectly to both Ancestry and Family Search. There's some other problem here.

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7271 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:31 PM

Oh, I just looked and I have a black screen too. Not sure what happened here. It was working earlier for me. I will report this to development. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7271 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:14 PM

Development just gave me this link. Seems Bing API Team has been made aware of the issue.

https://blogs.msdn.m...ng-map-service/

Renee
RootsMagic

#12 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5541 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:49 PM

It took 24 days for this to be raised as an issue in RM? Can't be many people using RM Mapping.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#13 wq5w

wq5w

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for the help and I hope this gets resolved soon.  I wonder if this might prompt a shift to Google Maps?

#14 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2697 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for the help and I hope this gets resolved soon.  I wonder if this might prompt a shift to Google Maps?

The problem has always been that Google Maps charges for the license and Bing maps does not. I know nothing of the details, but it seems likely that RM really can't afford to pay Google for the license.

Jerry

#15 Sparro

Sparro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:46 PM

Hi all,

I am using Windows 7 OS and been experiencing this problem for the past week and a half; trying to work my way through possible problems like Flash player or Java etc. I saw Renee's latest link and following it it says the problem is fixed as of 15 Sep.

I'm afraid it isn't as I'm still getting nothing but a black screen as of today 17 Sep.

I also am using Legacy and it appears to be experiencing the same problem (except I get a white scrren but no maps).

Regards

#16 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:05 AM

Not fixed yet here either.

#17 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5541 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:32 PM

The "fix" was for some non-Microsoft product called SSRS and was in their code, not in Bing's, per my reading of the message. Which suggests that RootsMagic could "fix" their code to work with the current API, if the cause of the problem is the same.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#18 daragon24

daragon24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:54 PM

The "fix" was for some non-Microsoft product called SSRS and was in their code, not in Bing's, per my reading of the message. Which suggests that RootsMagic could "fix" their code to work with the current API, if the cause of the problem is the same.

Seems that way to me too. Legacy has the same issue, but other programs such as Family Tree Maker and Gramps are using Bing maps just fine. Though Legacy having the issue is no surprise to me, they are slow at updating and changing their software. As far as licensing issues RootsMagic could always use OpenStreetMaps as well it is open source and free and unlike Bing and Google which update places on their maps every few years, OpenStreetMaps gets updated regularly thanks to millions of volunteers constantly working on it.

#19 wq5w

wq5w

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:39 AM

The program prompted me to install an update today and the mapping feature seems to be working after doing that.

#20 gmkstans

gmkstans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:52 PM

Has the blank mapping issue been resolved? It's not working for me and I just downloaded the program 2 weeks ago.