• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rosellirj

rosellirj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:31 PM

Treeshare currently sends Notes associated with RootsMagic Facts to the "Other Sources" list on the Fact page of Ancestry.com. The reasoning for this posted by RM is: "RootsMagic allows you to add a note to each fact but Ancestry only allows a note for the person." But this is not true. There are two fields available for each Fact on the "Lifestory" page of Ancestry. The first field is labeled "Description" and indeed the "Description" field from a RM Fact is transferred to this field. The second field available on Ancestry is: "Write a short story about this event." I believe this is the appropriate place to transfer the contents of the "Notes" field associated with RM Facts.

#2 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2612 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:04 PM

I don't have any technical knowledge of the situation, but I wonder if ancestry's "Write a short story about this event" field is available to the API. If not, then RM can't use it.

In any case, I don't particular care where in ancestry the RM fact note is stored as long as it is stored, as long as it is stored correctly, and as long as it can be returned intact to RM. At the present time, the trip from RM to ancestry causes RM's fact notes to lose their formatting in the sense of losing their carriage return and line feed characters. If it's possible for RM to use ancestry's "Write a short story about this event" field, there wouldn't be any point in doing so unless the data survived intact through a round trip.

Jerry

#3 Sonapm

Sonapm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:19 PM

I have, perhaps, a somewhat related issue. Many persons in my RootsMagic database include old Notes that have survived various downloads via gedcom files. When I uploaded my database to Ancestry, these notes also made the trip.

Now, when I use TreeShare to compare individuals and copy data to/from Ancestry, those Notes appear, usually with a small discrepancy in the number of characters. This gives me the opportunity to choose which one to copy to the other, or I can go to the individual's record in RootsMagic, where I can copy the information to a Fact and then delete the Note. I can also go to the person's profile in Ancestry and delete the Note - well, kind of delete it - by using the Backspace key.

However, when I rerun TreeShare, there is an icon that indicates a Note exists on Ancestry. When I hover the mouse over it, the following characters appear (within the quotes): "<line />". This is annoying because it causes TreeShare to identify the records as different, even if all other data is identical. I called Ancestry support and they told me it was probably a RootsMagic issue, but I don't buy that explanation, because I tested it by writing a Note in my own RootsMagic record, then used TreeShare to copy it to Ancestry. I then Backspace-deleted the Note from my Ancestry and it still appeared in TreeShare.

I realize that this is a bit frivolous and nit-picky, but I feel as if Ancestry programming is the responsible party. Comments?

Jim

#4 rosellirj

rosellirj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 11:15 AM

If I make a change to a Fact Note in RootsMagic, then use Treeshare to transfer it to Ancestry, boxes appear next to many facts other than the one I changed. In every case, the number of characters in the Note field of Ancestry is smaller than the number of characters in the RootsMagic Note field. A comparison of the Ancestry Note with RootsMagic Note shows that Ancestry has stripped all carriage returns, line feeds, and perhaps other characters from the RootsMagic Note. A Note for a will, which I purposely separated into several paragraphs in RootsMagic, appears as a single long illegible line. This is definitely an Ancestry problem. If you Edit an Ancestry note to add carriage returns, they disappear immediately after you submit the change. The same issue occurs when entering carriage returns in fields on Ancestry's Lifestory page. Very frustrating.

#5 Sonapm

Sonapm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:58 PM

If I make a change to a Fact Note in RootsMagic, then use Treeshare to transfer it to Ancestry, boxes appear next to many facts other than the one I changed. In every case, the number of characters in the Note field of Ancestry is smaller than the number of characters in the RootsMagic Note field. A comparison of the Ancestry Note with RootsMagic Note shows that Ancestry has stripped all carriage returns, line feeds, and perhaps other characters from the RootsMagic Note. A Note for a will, which I purposely separated into several paragraphs in RootsMagic, appears as a single long illegible line. This is definitely an Ancestry problem. If you Edit an Ancestry note to add carriage returns, they disappear immediately after you submit the change. The same issue occurs when entering carriage returns in fields on Ancestry's Lifestory page. Very frustrating.

I have also noticed that issue, but frankly, I did not think of it as a problem until you mentioned it. I can see where that could create some illegibility.

However, it seems to be slightly different from the problem I described above. The Ancestry conversion of my Notes appears to ADD characters, perhaps an HTML line feed or carriage return, that remain when I delete the entire note on Ancestry, then use TreeShare to compare the individual's record between Ancestry and Rootsmagic.

My comment above was slightly misleading when I said, "... I tested it by writing a Note in my own RootsMagic record, then used TreeShare to copy it to Ancestry. I then Backspace-deleted the Note from my Ancestry and it still appeared in TreeShare."

I should have said that I tested the problem by writing a Note in RootsMagic and used TreeShare to copy it to Ancestry.com. After I deleted that Note on Ancestry.com, the previously existing text no longer appeared in TreeShare (in either the RootsMagic window or the Ancestry window), but when I hovered the mouse pointer over the Note's icon (which still appears in the Ancestry window), the popup balloon displays the characters "<line />".

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5467 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:53 AM

I wonder if the <line /> tag is the short form for a tag pair <line></line> that has no value. We see that in XML or XHTML where the null value for a variable named "line" is represented by <line/>.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fact Notes, Lifestory