• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bonnie3033

Bonnie3033

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:02 PM

We are told that RM is now working on a native version for MAC. What I want to know is will the native version be essentially the same as the Windows version as in features, how it navigates? As comprehensive? 

As a MAC person, I actually bought a PC to run RM as the current MAC bridged product just does not compare nor does it function reliably. 

Thanks

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:05 PM

Yes, the Windows and native Mac version will be the same.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:27 PM

I understand the current bugs and have work-arounds using my MacBookPro. Most of my time is used in consolidating data between RootsMagic and FamilySearch.

#4 Bonnie3033

Bonnie3033

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:08 AM

Yes, the Windows and native Mac version will be the same.

Terrific! Really looking forward to it. Thank you.

#5 Marina Garrison

Marina Garrison

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:56 AM

The MAC bridged version isn't the same??? I didn't know that.... 

#6 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1173 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:29 PM

The bridged version is the same code as the PC version. Unfortunately, the bridging programs like Parallels do not support keyboard shortcuts and certain other features of PC-compliant code. (I don't use them, since I'm not a Mac user, so I can't remember all of the bridge program names).

Once the common code base for the native PC and Mac versions of RM is complete, it would seem that those variations should be resolved.

#7 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:45 AM

The current mac bridged version is the windows program running inside a crossover windows xp "bottle" and lacks several features. It does not function like a normal mac program but is fairly useable. It avoids buying windows and parallels and the serious strain and malware exposure of virtualization software on your mac.

A native mac version would be much better but seems a distant hope. It would also not resolve the difficulties of ancestry sync since these are due to the different data structures of RM7 and Ancestry.

My wife happily uses the bridged version but I switched to family tree maker 2017 which handles sync and merge quite well and is a native mac program.

#8 Bonnie3033

Bonnie3033

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:43 PM

While the prospect of a native RM version for MAC is very exciting, a question came up about/what if Apple changes their OS system - will Apple's upgrades create headaches for those on the native version? Not being a tech person, not quite understanding this aspect. fortunately I'm ok working on RM on a pc....mostly. 

#9 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:43 AM

Both MacOS and Windows changes with each new major Operating System release, at roughly 6-9month intervals. Software developers in general are well used to having to adapt their software where necessary, so I doubt that there is very much to fear as, without the continuing supply of functional software from 3rd-Party developers, any future Operating System release would be useless.

If in doubt, prevent the major Operating System updates until any glitches are sorted out.  That is currently easier with full MacOS updates than with Windows 10, because those major updates to MacOS are not made automatically, but have to be user initiated.

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#10 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1173 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:32 AM

Both MacOS and Windows changes with each new major Operating System release, at roughly 6-9month intervals. Software developers in general are well used to having to adapt their software where necessary, so I doubt that there is very much to fear as, without the continuing supply of functional software from 3rd-Party developers, any future Operating System release would be useless.

If in doubt, prevent the major Operating System updates until any glitches are sorted out.  That is currently easier with full MacOS updates than with Windows 10, because those major updates to MacOS are not made automatically, but have to be user initiated.

Windows updates can also be set to manual control.

In Win7, go to Control Panel > Windows Updates > (left pane) Change settings > set the dropdown under Important updates

#11 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

Windows changes their OS once in 5 years if that. Every Tuesday they have bug and security patches which often misfire.

Macs get a new OS every 18 months with patches 2 to 3 times a year. These changes are relatively benign and mac apps get updated as needed for free by their developers. Apple forces adherence to their software and hardware standards which is why everything tends to work so well.

Worry about Windows, not about Macs. Macs also do not yet need virus and malware protection since the OS is pretty secure. This is not due to Apple's smaller market share but to proactive software/hardware design.

#12 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:51 AM

To clarify my earlier comments:

Significant Operating System Updates:

MacOS (Major Releases)

10.7 - Lion - Released 20 Oct 2010

10.8 - Mountain Lion - Released 18 Feb 2012

10.9 - Mavericks - Released 10 Jun 2013

10.10 - Yosemite - Released 02 Jun 2014

10.11 - El Capitan - Released 08 Jun 2015

10.12 - Sierra - Released 13 Jun 2016

10.13 - High Sierra - Released - 5 Jun 2017

All of these have required a significant range of software updates for a wide range of Apple and 3rd-Party software, usually resulting from Apple’s enhanced security requirements. Fortunately the vast majority of those updates have been provided by developers at ’no direct cost’. 

Windows 7

Mainstream Microsoft support for Windows 7 officially ended on 13 Jan 2015, but security updates are due to continue until 14 Jan 2020, after which Windows 7 will go the way of XP.

Windows 10 (Major Releases)

1507 - Threshold 1 - Released 29 Jul 2015

1511 - Theshold 2 - Released 10 Nov 2015

1607 - Redstone 1 Anniversary Update - Released 02 Aug 2016

1703 - Redstone 2 Creators Update - Released 5 April 2017

1709 - Redstone 3 Fall Creators Update - Due 17 Oct 2017

1803 - Redstone 4 Due Early 2018

Each of these has been a full operating system update; i.e. the installation process is that the old system is completely removed (and temporarily archived) and the new release fully installed in its place.  Software applications (if determined as still compatible) and User Data is then automatically restored (or should be), so this is not a 'simple' update of Windows 10 in the traditional sense, but a 'new' Operating System installation.  In reality, some 3rd-party software problems have been widely reported after each major update.

I would however add that Family History/Genealogy software is rarely mentioned as having problems with MacOS or Windows where users have up-to-date releases installed, which don't try to store their settings or data in protected areas of the system, but follow Apple's/Microsoft's design guidelines as intended.  Software that is affected is more frequently applications that interact with the Operating System more directly.

Mervyn

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#13 HermanduPlooy

HermanduPlooy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:49 PM

Will it be ready for Christmas, excellent present?

#14 Malcolm Perrins

Malcolm Perrins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:07 AM

Christmas is far too many sleeps away. Is there a release date?

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7256 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:20 AM

RootsMagic doesn't give release dates. It will only be released when stable and ready.

Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RM-Mac, native version