• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tconrad

tconrad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:24 PM

Hi, I just upgraded to latest RM so I could try out the ancestry.com integration.

Background (you can skip this):  I had been an RM user and fan since the early days of Family Origins and FoWin.  I thought in principle, I will always keep my info on my PC, not some pay site.   That worked until about a  year or so ago.   I finally found that it was too much work to add stuff to my ancestry tree (easy, one click) and then duplicate the change on my PC.   I started to mainly let my PC tree fall behind.   Yes, I was missing some things, but I just don't have the time to do things twice and compromises are in order.   I only occasionally opened RM and that was because I could do really nice searches, browse way faster, and I still had a few old notes only on RM.

Enter new ancestry sync'ing.  Such a cool idea.  I couldn't wait (well, at least until after I thought it was safe).   My ancestry tree is probably typical of old timers:  10K people, 27K records, 4K photos.   I knew to download this would be a huge amount of space, primarily the multimedia.   After a few hours, I had 14Gig of images on my PC.

Anticipating the big storage space, I put both my tree file and my multimedia directory on a network drive.

Now, I started up new FM with my ancestry tree and everything was just incredibly slow.   If I change focus on several people in a row, it would freeze.  Worst, it doesn't have a spinny icon so it's impossible to tell if RM is still listening or not.   It's so laggy and without a busy indicator, it gets frustrating to do anything.

I started to turn off all hints and now with everything off, I think I can sort of navigate, but alas I don't think it's as snappy fast as it was 2 years ago.   I really think that should be a goal.

I do IC chip design in my day job and we use a schematic tool that also displays sim values (think "hints").   It runs very slow if it's on, so we have a hot key and a button so that we can turn it off, navigate around, and then hit 'X' and then everything comes on for just the small piece of circuit of interest.   I really wish RM had this concept.   You should be able to hit a "speed button" and shut everything off, then when you get to someone, have the "go get stuff" buttons along the top to toggle them back on.   I don't want hints across the whole tree view if it means it's so slow that I need to go get coffee after every click.

1) Anyways, what I'd like to know is what happens with the button called "Disconnect from Ancestry tree" does?   Does using that mean I can do work on the PC faster, then do a "connect" when I'm done?   Or is that a sledge hammer that actually permanently disconnects it?

2) Is there a list of *all* things to turn off to make it snappy responsive?   I never want to be staring and waiting for focus to change to a sibling, for example.   I'm still waiting and my PC isn't that old.

3) Could the delay be due to having the RM database on a network drive?  Is there a lot of file I/O?   If that's the case, I assume I could move the tree file back to my local disk, but leave the multimedia on the network drive.   And if having multimedia on a network drive slows it down, is there a way to say "multimedia = off" while a move around and then just enable multimedia later?

I really think something needs to be done to make the interface snappy again.   I had noticed after the hints were added before that it was getting so slow as to be frustrating.

I have recently added about 800 people and their wives and want to clean up the dates and places in RM (since it's really good at that stuff) so I want to get the environment as nice as possible before starting on that project.

Thanks!!

Tim

#2 tconrad

tconrad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

All,

I tried running with the tree file (but not multimedia) on a local drive and I *think* it's faster, but I didn't do any specific measurements.  I still notice that if I click on say 6 or 8 people in a row, it stalls after just a few and then has to catch up.  But I've been able to switch around between people without so much lag.  If this is true (that network drive hurts performance), it might be good to warn users when they select a network drive for their tree.

Thanks,

Tim

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:49 PM

There is a lot of I/O activity with a relational database like SQL, so a slow network would definitely be a poor location for the data file *.RMGC.  I'm not a network expert, but I know there are ways to measure your network's throughput - - -

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5467 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:09 AM

Even navigating causes file writing so keep the .rmgc file on a fast local drive.

"Disconnect from tree" is a bludgeon. That RM file and Ancestry Tree lose all their interconnections and you have to do a TreeShare upload or download to create a new partner at the other end.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:14 AM

Have  you run the Database Tools yet?  Indexing issues can slow the program down. Go to File>Database Tools and run all options there.

Check if your firewall, antivirus or internet filter programs could be interfering with RM access to the internet. If you have added your own firewall or antivirus software also check that the Windows ones haven't turned on again too. It will sometimes happen after a Windows update. They could be conflicting and causing things to slow or freeze.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3261 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:26 AM

Only possibility for very slight improvement might be if you're currently using a UNC path... you could try connecting (mapping) that same path to a drive letter to avoid the minimal additional overheads of resolving at each operation.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5467 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:57 PM

Another reduction of load is to disable WebHints in those sessions in which they are not needed. 

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 tconrad

tconrad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:06 PM

Thanks all!   My network drive was mapped as a drive letter and I was using it that way.   Using the network drive for the multimedia seems OK, but when I a) turned off all the hints) and B) moved the database to a local drive, all seems pretty normal.  Thanks for the tips.

I don't have any special firewalls.   I think the issue is in tree view, my wide screen brings up a lot of people and if I'm traversing back and forth and up/down, it seems to want to do a lot of web fetching.   I just need to leave that off unless  I'm looking at one family view perhaps.

My network drive normally is fine, but if I know if there is a lot of I/O, it would have some effect.   I use all CAT-5 cable (no wireless!) and there's minimal activity on the router.   But I guess the rule should be to just keep the database file local to the PC.

I like the idea of doing an index update, but I was holding back since this was a fresh creation from the net (after getting a dump from ancestry) and was worried about doing an index update that affects the sync'ing.   But if you say it's OK, I'll try it.

Thanks again!

Tim