15 replies to this topic

#1 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:39 AM

I am looking for a few people that have MacOS High Sierra installed.  We have reports of RootsMagic for Mac not opening in this version.

We would need CodeWeavers to work directly with you. They will give instructions on how to capture the information they need in order to work on this. If you are interested in helping us, send an email Attn: Renee to support@rootsmagic.com 

Renee
RootsMagic

#2 ftipple

ftipple

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:08 PM

I thought High Sierra was only at the public beta testing stage at present?

#3 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:35 AM

I thought High Sierra was only at the public beta testing stage at present?

True.

But surely a good time to try to get things sorted provided there are some volunteers. High Sierra has already been through several beta versions and one would expect it to become generally available at the time of the next Apple announcement extravaganza, which is expected next month or in October. Quite a few of us might be wanting to upgrade fairly soon after that (though not too soon in my case), and it would be good to know that RootsMagic for Mac works on it.

#4 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:57 AM

The 'issue' for most Mac Home Users is that they would likely need access to at least two relatively modern Mac Systems/Laptops to be High Sierra beta-testers; or be prepared to reformat their 'high-end' Mac's to dual-boot both Operating Systems, as beta-OS Testing is not appropriate for live (production) use.  This is only really for those who enjoy 'living on the edge'; and have sufficient time and inclination to identify, diagnose and report issues to both Apple and individual software developers.

In my opinion it would be somewhat pointless simply testing the RootsMagic for Mac download on High Sierra beta without the ability to also build and test a self-install on WINE, Crossover, PlayOnMac, Wineskin etc. to assist with diagnosing what the cause of any issues might be; and, as RootsMagic and its Windows dependencies haven't changed, any functional issues are most probably in the actual process of building the Crossover WINE application to run on MacOS. 

I'm not MacOS beta testing myself as I can't afford the spare Mac hardware, time or effort required by constant 4.5Gb downloads and (re-)installations every time a new OS update is released.  I went through enough of that with the early Windows 10 Insider programme; and that was much simpler. as it was (and still is) possible to install and run the OS relatively quickly as a Virtual Machine on most hardware.  Not so with MacOS!

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#5 ftipple

ftipple

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:27 AM

Agree. I have no early adopter tendencies!

It does look as if High Sierra is a maintenance upgrade, not a full revision, but having had a quick look at what it will be offering there's nothing there that will be a deal breaker for me, so I'm happy to wait till the official launch, + a few weeks so they get any problems ironed out

#6 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:22 PM

I do have early adopter tendencies. I have High Sierra installed. I just loaded the latest 14-day trial version of Crossover. Everything "works" prior to the download on my MacBookPro except apparently I cannot get the files to open when I am accessing FamilySearch. Just stopped. I figure it is a CrossOver boo-boo. I would much rather have a true native version of RootsMagic, but I was an "early adopter" when I ran RootsMagic with earlier versions of Crossover using the version hacked by the BYU student who made it all possible without me having to cold boot MS on my earlier Mac to use RootsMagic. I felt liberated. I now do not have any version of MS on my MacBookPro and I stopped using MS Office after I shut down MacCompanion Magazine. I also ran various versions of Linux on my Mac and I have since stopped doing that too. 

I have a database of about 229K and at the moment I cannot use it to get stuff done in FamilySearch. I uninstalled and reloaded RootsMagic and began doing the Polish Loop (doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results). 

My current system is Retina 15-inch Mid 2015, 2.8GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB using Version macOS High Sierra Beta (17A344b). I already submitted the "3rd Party App Bug" to Apple a couple of days ago.

Please count me in! 

#7 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:48 PM

By downloading and installing the latest CrossOver in High Sierra and reconnecting to FamilySearch via the usual process in RootsMagic7, I can now open my database files and see the comparisons between RM7 and FS - and adjust accordingly. Ergo, the crossover in the RM7 download for Mac embedded in the RM7 version needs to be updated to function in macOS High Sierra. So far, way cool!

The beauty of it is that they made it Seamless by finding and loading RM7 for me (full paid version re-registered). Will it still work when I shut down and restart? I'll let you know.

#8 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:15 PM

Currently getting TreeShare for Ancestry reestablished...that may take a while. Meanwhile, I am using Safari Technology Preview as the browser of choice with Firefox as fallback.  In Firefox, I can print my FamilySearch Temple queue as a PDF to my desktop and grab names from there to distribute to Temple Cousins as I find them. Salt Lake said it could/should not be done. Works smoothly on the Mac.

When will RM become 64-bit?

#9 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:16 PM

Treeshare is at 13%, so I may have do the shutdown, reboot tomorrow after it finishes lading Ancestry Changes.

#10 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:32 AM

The "CrossOver wrapper" for RM for Mac needed updating for Sierra so it is not that surprising that it would need updating for High Sierra. If one looks at the MacOS levels supported by the various levels of Crossover, then that was what made the requirement for an upgrade in the case of Sierra fairly obvious.

#11 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:40 AM

Updated macOS to 17A352a after ShareTree was completed earlier this morning.  Rebooted. RM7 runs "normal" with all expected behaviours the same (the usual glitches).  i.e. When RM7 locks up, It does not gracefully allow exiting, but I have to Force Quit. Otherwise, I can get back into FamilySearch Central and TreeShare with Ancestry works.

#12 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:54 AM

My trial version of CrossOver ends in 12 more days. I hope a new release with the updated CrossOver from RootsMagic materializes before then - or we get the Native version of CrossOver for the Mac (hint, hint).

#13 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:49 AM

I can say you're absolutely not getting the native Mac version of RM in 12 days.

Renee
RootsMagic

#14 ftipple

ftipple

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:25 AM

This is probably a stupid question, please bear with me!

When reading some of the advance publicity about High Sierra, I noticed that Apple will start phasing out support for 32-bit systems in 2018.

So is RootsMagic a 32-bit or 64-bit system? Probably I should know this already, but I don't. Will RM continue working on my Apple hardware pending the arrival of a native Mac version?

TIA,

Fíona

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:47 PM

RootsMagic is a 32-bit program. I'm sure our development is aware of the Mac requirements and will make sure RM will run on it.

Renee
RootsMagic

#16 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:38 AM

Thank you for those that have volunteered to be RM Testers on High Sierra.  I think we have enough now.

This thread has been monitored, and discussions off topic have been removed. 

Renee
RootsMagic