• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GenMikki

GenMikki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:11 AM

I've been working on the TreeShare and noticed a few days ago that the path to my original RootsMagic database is Y:\documents\MyFamily.rmgc.  The file path to my TreeShare file is C:\crossover\documents\ancestryfile.rmgc.  I have no idea when my RM database changed to the "Y" drive or where that drive is.  I'm feeling stupid because I can't find the path to my RootsMagic program. It should be something like C:\crossover\........etc. Is that correct? Shouldn't my database also be C:\crossover\...etc.  How do I check things out and correct them.  If my internal hard drive is the "C" drive where can I find that information.  I'm using a MacBook using El Capitan (it's too old to update to Sierra).

#2 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:05 PM

You can store your database in any local location. Just navigate to that when you open it. Do NOT store it in a  folder that's syncing with iCloud (I do put my backups there). 

#3 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:12 AM

I've been working on the TreeShare and noticed a few days ago that the path to my original RootsMagic database is Y:\documents\MyFamily.rmgc.  The file path to my TreeShare file is C:\crossover\documents\ancestryfile.rmgc.  I have no idea when my RM database changed to the "Y" drive or where that drive is.  I'm feeling stupid because I can't find the path to my RootsMagic program. It should be something like C:\crossover\........etc. Is that correct? Shouldn't my database also be C:\crossover\...etc.  How do I check things out and correct them.  If my internal hard drive is the "C" drive where can I find that information.  I'm using a MacBook using El Capitan (it's too old to update to Sierra).

The Y drive is mapped to your Mac data. So the file you reference is stored in your Mac Documents folder. Most people usually setup an RM, say, folder within Documents, and then create sub folders for Data, Backups, GECOMs, media, etc, and then use the Folders part of Program Options within Tools to point RM at those locations. From an RM perspective, these folders will appear to be on the Y disk. I strongly suggest that you don't store any user data on what RM for Mac sees as the C disk.

#4 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:03 PM

As GM suggests, set up a set of nested folders in your mac Documents folder and use Rootsmagic 7 file/tool options to change to using these folders. Things go where you tell them to whether or not  you do this with awareness. Files in Documents will be part of your time machine and cloud/flashdrive backups. Get the EasyFind free app and you can find anything on your mac. It is much better than Spotlight.