Photo

Treeshare will not download user created citation, source, or repository information from “Ancestry Sources” on Ancestry.com.

TreeshareAncestry Sources Transcription of text

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EvolveBeing

EvolveBeing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:55 PM

SITUATION:  Treeshare will not download user created citation, source, or repository information from “Ancestry Sources” on Ancestry.com.  This problem seems to only effect “Ancestry Sources”, not “Other Sources”. 

SPECIFICS:  If a user enters citation, source, or repository information for an “Ancestry Source”, that information will not be downloaded by TreeShare.  Specifically this is what happens to user created information in the following Ancestry.com fields of “Ancestry Sources”:

Citation Date: no information is transferred to RootsMagic

Citation Transcription of text: no information is transferred to RootsMagic

Citation Other information: no information is transferred to RootsMagic

Citation Web Address: no information is transferred to RootsMagic

Source Author: information is overwritten with “Ancestry.com”

Source Publisher: information is overwritten with “Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.”

Source Publisher Location: information is overwritten with “Provo, UT, USA”

Source Call Number: no information is transferred to RootsMagic

Source Note: information is overwritten with other information

Source REFN: no information is transferred to RootsMagic

Repository Name: overwritten with “Ancestry.com”

Repository Address: no information is transferred to RootsMagic

Repository Phone Number: no information is transferred to RootsMagic

Repository Email: no information is transferred to RootsMagic

Repository Call Number: no information is transferred to RootsMagic

Repository Note: no information is transferred to RootsMagic

Repository REFN: no information is transferred to RootsMagic

EXAMPLE:  Create a new residence event using an Ancestry.com census source.  Edit the citation information of the census source and add census Citation Transcription of text information, such as “Name: Eva Bly, Age: 47, Birth Date: Abt 1833, Birthplace: Germany, Home in 1880: Chautauqua, Chautauqua, New York, USA, Gender: Female, Relation to Head of House: Wife, Marital Status: Married …”  Preform TreeShare and the transcript information is not transferred. 

Obviously, the functionally here is worse than useless as there is a loss of data from Ancestry.com.  Is anyone else having this problem, or is there hopefully something obvious I am missing?  This is especially frustrating for Citation Transcription of text, Citation Other information, and Citation Web Address which can be very helpful to record. 

- Thanks, Tom

PS:

I have read the “FAQ: WebHints & TreeShare for Ancestry” at

http://rootsmagic.com/ancestry/help/Magic_Guide_TreeShare_Ancestry_FAQ.pdf

It does not seem to mention this problem.

These problems do not seem to be addressed by the thread “Before Posting Issues on Ancestry Features Check Here” at:

http://forums.rootsmagic.com/index.php?/topic/17589-before-posting-issues-on-ancestry-features-check-here/

I am not sure if this problem may be similar to that mentioned in the thread “Ancestry.com sources without detail” at:

http://forums.rootsmagic.com/index.php?/topic/17398-ancestrycom-sources-without-detail/

#2 EvolveBeing

EvolveBeing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:04 PM

As a minor follow up, Treeshare will not download user created citation, source, or repository information from both “Ancestry Sources” AND “Other Sources” for the following fields, but I did not mention this originally as it is not as crucial:

Citation Date: no information is transferred to RootsMagic

Source REFN: no information is transferred to RootsMagic

Repository Call Number: no information is transferred to RootsMagic

Repository REFN: no information is transferred to RootsMagic

#3 Gina

Gina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:25 PM

I have a similar issue. It is probably the same issue, but I did not test as thoroughly as you.  :)

http://forums.rootsm...ot-transferred/

#4 EvolveBeing

EvolveBeing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:37 PM

Gina, Yes it looks like you are having the same problem.  I will let you know the results of a ticket I submitted today. - Tom