• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pstaveley

pstaveley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:15 PM

One of the uses of the Place List is to standardise place names. It would be useful to be able to open the Gazetteer at the same time as the Place List and indeed paste the outcome from the Gazetteer back into the entry in the Place List.

My workaround is to open the RootsMagic Launcher and to use the Gazetteer in that. I cannot have two copies of the main RootsMagic program running on the same computer at the same time which is why I use the Launcher. Indeed why not have a direct button to the Gazetteer on the Place List?

Also why not have a delete all (unused) places on the Unused Place List dialog box rather than having to delete places individually?

I appreciate that having a bulk delete for the main database is, by design, not provided (to avoid users shooting themselves in the foot) but if the places are not being used then bulk deleting them will not destroy any data and in any case the places will be recreated when an event needs to use them.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2954 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:48 AM

One of the uses of the Place List is to standardise place names. It would be useful to be able to open the Gazetteer at the same time as the Place List and indeed paste the outcome from the Gazetteer back into the entry in the Place List.

My workaround is to open the RootsMagic Launcher and to use the Gazetteer in that. I cannot have two copies of the main RootsMagic program running on the same computer at the same time which is why I use the Launcher. Indeed why not have a direct button to the Gazetteer on the Place List?

Also why not have a delete all (unused) places on the Unused Place List dialog box rather than having to delete places individually?

I appreciate that having a bulk delete for the main database is, by design, not provided (to avoid users shooting themselves in the foot) but if the places are not being used then bulk deleting them will not destroy any data and in any case the places will be recreated when an event needs to use them.

As a long time user I have seen Rootsmagic evolve the Place offerings and tools in what I term a bolt on fashion with some integration. My current belief is that Place management needs a complete revamp integrating all Place related features into a single UI with an embedded online map like RM Mapping already exists. Rootsmagic are well aware of these enhancement wishes over the years but I believe your input would also be valuable as, whilst the goals are the same, everyone works a little differently.

I understand the one by one delete frustration but some of those currently unused Places may have valuable Notes and Media attached which the user would wish to preserve, I think this may be some of the reasoning, but maybe not.

Resolving Places accurately is so important in genealogy as it's key to identifying possible matches but this needs to be achieved with the minimum of user effort and the maximum programmed solutions, so keep wishing and giving your feedback.

“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today"

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.0.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 6959 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:16 AM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list.

Renee
RootsMagic