3 replies to this topic

#1 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:47 PM

First off I'd like to merge events. Sometimes I'll have two events of the same type and I want to put them together without losing sources. Or I'll have one with notes and another with sources. Often this is after merging people.

I also want to merge place details. Let's say I have three places; one that says Dallas, Gaston, North Carolina, United States, one with Adam Kastner Cemetery, Dallas, Gaston, North Carolina, United States, and lastly Kastner Cemetery, Dallas, Gaston, North Carolina, United States. I move the cemetery names to place details. I merge those three place and I get one Dallas, Gaston, North Carolina, United States which is great. But Kastner Cemetery and Adam Kastner are the same, and I would like to get all references changed to Adam Kastner Cemetery (or more properly Old Philadelphia Church Cemetery).

#2 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2561 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:42 PM

RM cannot merge events. To do so is a totally manual process of setting up one of the events the way you want it and deleting the other.

In the case of merging cemeteries or other Place Details, merging the Place Details "just works". In the Place List, select the Place of interest, click the Place Details tab, highlight a Place Details you want to keep, and click Merge. Check all the other Place Details you wish to merge in with the one you are going to keep, and complete the process by clicking Merge Selected Places.

Jerry

#3 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:54 PM

I must be missing something, because every time I attempt to merge place details it puts me place merge and gives me no list of details to select from

#4 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2561 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:34 PM

I grant you that the user interface for merging Places vs. Merging Place Details can be a little confusing. I have complained about it but it has never been improved.

Here's the tricky part. When you are in the Place List and when you highlight a Place, it shows you any and all Place Details associated with that Place. It looks like you can therefore do things like highlight some Place Details and merge or delete Place Details from where you are. But you can't. Before you can do anything with the Place Details, you first have to click on the Place Details tab. Having done so, you will see a sub-window called Place Details. Only when you get this sub-window can you manipulate the Place Details.

So be really, really sure that you click the Place Details tab and be really, really sure you get a sub-window that says Place Details - not Places. If you get to that point, it should work just fine to Merge or Delete any of the Place Details.

Jerry

P.S. It's not clear how best to change the Place and Place Details user interface to make it less confusing. The trouble is that you can edit a Place Details by double clicking it and without first clicking on the Place Details tab. But you can't delete or merge Place Details unless you first click on the Place Details tab.  It may seem like a difference without a distinction, but I think that's the root cause of the problem. And if you removed the ability to edit a Place Details without first clicking the on the Place Details tab, I'm sure that users would complain about the extra click to edit Place Details (and I'm a prime critic of RM's clickiness). But I think that edit, delete, and merge of Place Details all need to be in the Place Details window instead of edit of Place Details being in the Place window.