• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Robb

Robb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:51 PM

It would help me know where I am in my tree if I could see in the edit screen who the current person is in relation to the tree's root person.

This is something that Ancestry does and I find it a useful feature.

I know I can use Tools -> Relationship Calculator, but that takes time!

There is lots of space for this information to be shown at the top of the edit screen where the current person's name appears or, perhaps better, at the bottom where we have 'Last edited'.

#2 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2561 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:53 PM

Tools->Set Relationships

Jerry

#3 Robb

Robb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:14 AM

Doh! Thanks Jerry. Even after you pointed it out I had to look pretty hard to find it in bottom left corner of the screen. Without your comment I'd have had no chance!

#4 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2561 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:24 PM

I think RM would benefit by having the information to be displayed in a larger font and higher on the screen. For example, there is an important frame towards the top of the screen that contains the highlighted person's name, birth date, marriage date, and death date. There nearly always is lots of blank space towards the right hand side of that frame. I think the upper right hand corner of that frame would be a good place for the information.

Jerry

#5 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:14 PM

It is also a static setting. If you are adding new people to your tree then you have to set relationships periodically to pick them up. There have been several wish list items to make them dynamic, that is automatically update when add people. Hasn't happened yet.

#6 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1125 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:14 PM

I often reset the Set Relationships to reflect that I'm focusing on a different family branch during a given work session. So I may tend to run Set Relationships more often than some RM users. And I do agree that having this feature be dynamic, rather than static, would be nice.