• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 geoffde

geoffde

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:05 AM

I am running RM6 on Windows7 64-bit; I have had occasional freeze-ups but closing RM and re-opening returns things to normal. Now I have a situation where it opens a file but the file is frozen, I can't save or close - I have to shut down RM6 with task manager. I have perhaps a dozen RMGC files which all behave in the same way. I can look at the files in RootsMagicReader so the files seem OK but I now can't work with them.

The problem started after I had been making GED files to use in another program. RM6 program seems to have been corrupted. Is a re-installation of RM6 the only way out?

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1174 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:00 PM

RM Reader? What's that?

#3 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:34 AM

@zhangrau

The RootsMagic Reader is a read only version of RootsMagic that is included in the standard desktop installation.  You usually only come across it when creating/using a shared CD, but it will work on the desktop if you launch it from your installation files.  Can be useful if you want to (or want to allow someone else to) browse information from a database without the risk making any alterations.

Must admit I only came across and tried the feature when creating an installation for MacOS on WINE.

Mervyn

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#4 geoffde

geoffde

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:56 AM

Ok - problem has gone away (temporarily?) - can now work with .rmgc files. But I wonder if an upgrade to RM7 would give a more stable set-up?

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7265 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:39 AM

Go to File>Database Tools and run all options there in consecutive order. That will rule out any corruption in the database file. 

Make sure you also don't have the database file inside cloud storage, like Dropbox, and are editing it there. 

Renee
RootsMagic