• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bowlfreak_not

bowlfreak_not

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:19 AM

My mother's maiden name is "Van Nostrand" and I just realized that this is causing problems for the templates.  It wants to write the surname as just "Nostrand" and count the "Van" as part of the first name.  Is it possible with the template language to parse the field up to a comma and use that as the surname?  I apologize, I couldn't find an answer when I searched and am new to rootsmagic.  Any help or resources to get me going in the correct direction would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Nicole Ewing Smith

#2 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:14 AM

I' not seeing that, at least with the most common [Person] templates. are you sure you're not putting "Van Nostrand" or just the "Van" into the slot for the given name?

#3 bowlfreak_not

bowlfreak_not

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:24 AM

I'm so sorry! No, I didn't explain myself correctly.  I'm actually citing varies sources from the family, research, letters, a family bible, etc., and when I enter the name in the Author field of my citation I have problems.  For example, when citing my grandfather's genealogy research, if I put his name in the author field as "Van Nostrand, William", it appears correctly in the Footnote but not in the Bibliography, showing as "Nostand Van Bill" and in the Short Footnote as just "Nostrand".  I understand why there's not first name in the Short Footnote.  But is this just a formating thing with the Author field?  And I just need to know the correct way to format it?  or should I separate first and last name into two different fields in my source template so that it will print correctly?  Even though I've read the help files for sentence templates, I'm still very unsure....  

As always, thank everyone for their patience.

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1179 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:05 PM

You can control how the Source templates handle multi-part names by including a slash before and after the parts you want interpreted as the surname.

Example: Walter /Van Nostrand/ entered as the author, would show as Van Nostrand for the Bibliography sentence.

#5 bowlfreak_not

bowlfreak_not

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:03 AM

Eureka!!  Thank you, so much!  That's exactly what I needed and helped me in another spot as well.  Be well.