• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Hoejvang Christensen

Peter Hoejvang Christensen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:04 AM

Last week we received the news that Legacy was acquired by MyHeritage.

In Denmark a huge discussion has started among the Legacy users to find out what to do and expect from MH.

Some users a looking for a new program because they will not support MH.

Many Danish Legacy users are using Legacy because it works in Danish.

Since many of these users are now concidering to change to another program I think now would be a good time to introduce RM in Danish.

Is this something you are considering - and is there something I - a Danish user- can do to help?

#2 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2613 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:40 AM

Only RM employees can speak to what RM's plans might be for support for Danish or other languages in the future. In the meantime, here is my understanding of RM's existing support for languages as it might apply to Danish.

RM supports the UTF-8 character set. That means that you can enter person's names, place names, etc. using Danish letters. Such names will appear properly in reports.

The only collating sequence supported by RM is a proprietary collating sequence that is not very suitable for Danish. It seems to me that language specific collation is a requirement for proper language support.

RM supports sentence templates. All the default sentence templates are in English, but you can change the defaults to Danish. The task can seem daunting, but I suspect that most RM users only use 15 to 20 different sentence templates at most. So, for example, you can change "born" to "født" in the sentence template for the birth fact, and the change will be made for all the birth facts in your entire database - and similarly for the death fact, the marriage fact, the burial fact, etc. It's not just individual words you can change, it's entire sentences. My Danish is not good enough to construct an entire birth sentence in Danish. (Jeg snakke liten Norsk, så kan jeg snagge liten Dansk, men bare liten.)

It does seem to me, however, that there are a couple of problems with RM's sentence template support as regards languages other than English. One problem is that there can only be one set of sentence templates. If you change your templates to Danish and then for some reason want to print a report in English, you will have to change all your templates back to English and your Danish templates will be gone. RM does not support the idea of a library of templates, where you have a set of English templates, a set of Danish templates, etc.

But of more importance, there are sentences that occur in reports that are not under the control of RM's sentence templates. I can't speak to every possible report, but for the register and modified register reports, there are two problems. One problem is that for the sentence about the person's spouse, part of the sentence is not under the control of a sentence template. The other problem is that the register and modified reports include a summary of the children for each family before carrying the children forward to the next generation. The summary of the children is under control of sentence templates if the children are not carried forward to the next generation, and the summary of the children is not under control of sentence templates if the children are carried forward to the next generation. This is a very serious problem in RM for any language other than English.

The RM user interface, Help files, etc. are fully in English. In my experience, this is common with lots of software, even if the software otherwise has good language support. I would expect the RM user interface to remain fully in English even if its support for collation and reports improves for other languages.

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7095 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:23 PM

Development has said that after the native Mac is released then they will work on translation to other languages.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5467 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:58 PM

Development also said that multilingual UI would follow the release of RM4. Years later, that can still be said to be true. "After" could be a very long time.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 AkkuratD

AkkuratD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:54 PM

Looking forward to multi language support in RM. Whilst waiting I am trying to norwegianise e.g. sentences and I am almost there but I cannot find where to change the small words in front of dates and place etc.

In a sentence some prefixes are in english.

[Date] gets "on" before the date

[PlaceDetails] gets "at" before the details

[Place] gets "in" before the place

How can I change this to something non-english ?

#6 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:01 PM

Have you tried using Date:Plain to suppress the prepositions, then put your own Norwegian into the sentence?

#7 AkkuratD

AkkuratD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:32 PM

Got it. Use of plain. Eg [Date:plain]  removes the english words and allows me to enter other words in sentences.

One more thing. Date format are with english months.... Suggestions how to change dateformats to Norwegian ?

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5467 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:12 PM

Impossible to change date language n RN. Limited to date formats offered in File Options.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 AkkuratD

AkkuratD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:17 PM

That was what I found as well.

If only dd.mm.yyyy had been an option. Could have used that, but not that either