• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rrh7254

rrh7254

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:01 AM

I recently DIRECTLY imported a small TMG database into RM7 and observed that all my sources got set-up as custom source types within RM7(e.g. "_TMG)Census,Federal (filmed)").  I believe all the sources as they originally existed in TMG used the TMG standard source types (I need to verify), so I was surprised that the import couldn't map at least some of them to standard RM7 source types.  Then, still wishing to have my sources in standard RM7 format wherever possible, I went looking for a way to "edit" the source type for these existing sources (something I could do in TMG), but couldn't find any way to do it in RM7 (I'm new to RM7). 

1) Did I do something wrong in my import (or is it not possible to import TMG source types into standard RM7 source types)?

2) Is it possible in RM7 to convert a source from one source type to another without reverting to a complete manual process of deleting and then re-entering the sources from scratch?  I don't mind tweaking each source individually,  to correct a few improper field/format alignments, but was really hoping not to have do the complete re-entry of every source.

I tried finding discussions/tutorials relating to this topic, but haven't been able to find anything particularly relevant.  But I'm a recent convert to RM7 and am still trying to come up the learning curve, so I apologize if I missed where this topic has been covered before.  If that's the case, kindly just give me a pointer.

--thanks,

--Randy

-- regards,

-- Randy

#2 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:36 AM

TMG has a very elegant mechanism that allows you to change the source type of any source quickly and simply. RootsMagic has no comparable mechanism.

In addition, the default RootsMagic source types can't be edited. If you want to edit a default RootsMagic source type, you need to copy the source type and edit the copy.

As you perceived, you make a new source using the source type you wish (whether default or a new custom source type), copy the data from the old source to the new source, and then merge the sources (in the correct order) so that the new source has the same citations linked to it as to the original source.

Fun.  <_<

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5541 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:32 AM

And merging source types loses data from those fields in the original that have no duplicate at the same level as the target. Better to edit your _TMG types: you can freely edit the sentence templates and add fields but don't modify the existing field names and types.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 rrh7254

rrh7254

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:17 PM

Thanks Jim and Tom!  Although the answers were not what I wanted to hear, I very much appreciate your helpful comments.

At this point, I'm just moving a really small database from TMG to RM7 to see what it involves (and to learn the operational aspects of RM7).  So manually massaging the _TMG sources into some clone of an RM7 source format I like probably isn't an issue this time, but this and a couple of other tricky issues are really making me think twice about whether I am ready to move my main database which is much, much  larger.  I really don't think I want to rework something in excess of 1,000 sources.

I saw in some of the older RM training webinars that as far back as 2011 RM was mentioning a Source Type Converter being in the works, but I gather that never happened? 

-- regards,

-- Randy

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2697 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:50 PM

I saw in some of the older RM training webinars that as far back as 2011 RM was mentioning a Source Type Converter being in the works, but I gather that never happened? 

Correct, was mentioned and never happened.

Jerry

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5541 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:12 PM

If you really wanted to get under the hood of the database with SQLite, you could do some kinds of source type conversion. You would be dealing with XML data.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Dick-TMG

Dick-TMG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:42 PM

Tom H

This is probably not the right place to do this but I was looking at SQLite Expert (Free version) and I was wondering if anyone has created a picture of the database and all it's tables along with the pointers from one table to the next so that I can work on tables knowing how they all relate so I don't change a key or pointer that RM needs thus perhaps having a pointer to nothing or leave orphans in the database etc.

Looking at the output from SQLite Expert I could make some good guesses as to the structure but I may not get them all and I would really not want to destroy my database.

I did look at your WIKI site and was impressed by all the info there. That's where I found the link to SQLite Expert.

Dick

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5541 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:13 PM

I've not made nor have I found it necessary to make relationship diagrams except as I might be developing some especially complex query. There is no static setup; relationships are not even explicitly defined - they are implicit in the query.

On the wiki, there's a spreadsheet of data definitions that, along with the apparent table structures, are my references for developing queries.

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2697 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:37 PM

Sort of following up on Tom's answer: I'm familiar with the type of relationship diagrams you are talking about, and to tell you the truth I don't like them very much. I'm very visual, but nevertheless I think such diagrams tend to muddy the water of a database structure more than they clarify. I know that others will disagree.  :)

That being said, such relationship diagrams tend just to be visual representations of queries that have been made permanently a part of a data base. Such queries are often called views but behind the scenes they are just queries that are permanently stored in a database instead of you having to code them into your query as a subquery. The RM database contains no such views or "permanent queries". It would be possible to make relationship diagrams of the RM database, but it would have to be done manually because there there is nothing in the database from which the relationship diagrams could be created automatically.

And going in the other direction, sometimes there is a visual interface to a database whereby you can draw a picture of the joins between tables and the user interface will create the underlying SQL query for you without you having to write the SQL code yourself. Again, I'm probably a little weird because I think such visual interfaces are harder to use than just coding the SQL myself. In any case, I use SQliteSpy is my SQL manager and it does not support a visual interface. I don't know if SQLite Expert supports a visual interface or not.

If you have specific questions about how various RM tables ought to be joined together in a query, it's best to post your questions on Tom's wiki.

Jerry

#10 Dick-TMG

Dick-TMG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:25 AM

Tom H & Jerry

Thanks for the response and I will go to Tom's wiki and post questions there.

Thank you.

Dick