• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bowlfreak_not

bowlfreak_not

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:59 PM

I am looking for suggestions on how to anyone in the past has documented an individual being missed on a census.  My great great grandfather's house address is not on any census records in 1940.  Should I add a census event and a residence event?  Help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:28 PM

I created a missing census fact. In the note for the missing census fact, I include a narrative about the nature of the search I did.

In addition to using my missing census fact for people who are out and out missing, I also using it for people who were born in a census year to document cases where they were born after the census was taken.

On more than one occasion, after declaring a person missing from the census I have ended up finding them in the census. Such finds usually take place years after the original declaration of "missing from the census". And usually the name in the census is badly misspelled or mis-indexed or both.

Jerry

#3 RobJ

RobJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:41 PM

Are you trying to *invent* data?   :)

If instead, you are trying to document his absence, when other relatives were at that address, that *is* a problem, worth documenting, but hard to do.  I've a similar case where a 15 year old son is missing from a census record, with older sons and other children still there.  He was reported to have had a tough childhood, and kicked his own son out of the house when he had kids.  But using various genealogical tools, I've had a difficult problem linking a census record when the name isn't present.  First of all, you can't even search for it, you can't search for what ain't there!  You can find it in connection with someone that was present, but you then have to manufacture facts and notes to tell the story, without being able to directly link the census page.  I'd be interested in others' ideas.

#4 bgellisshapiro

bgellisshapiro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:02 PM

I notice that you mention searching for the address.  Census takers made copies of the original data they collected and occasionally missed someone.  They would then has add the missing data to the end of the series of information.  Try scanning to the last pages of the census near the address in question.

#5 bowlfreak_not

bowlfreak_not

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:17 PM

I like the idea of a missing census fact.  That way I can document all the steps I went through in my research, so later when I forget and wonder, hmmm, why aren't they on the census.  

And yes, as to finding them, well, I'm open to suggestions.  I have paged through individual images for multiple wards looking for their address and or names, (in case they were recorded at the wrong address), and found nothing.  Apparently, their house was on the dividing line between two different towns and census wards even though it was the last house on the street.  I even printed a map and drew different colored lines representing the census takers routes.  No dice...  Of course, I am going on the assumptions they did not move away from and then back to this particular address during a year or so time frame.  I always try to remember that without a time machine, nothing is certain.

#6 bowlfreak_not

bowlfreak_not

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:50 PM

oh, I probably should have added that it's not just a single person that's missing.  It's the whole family, which at the time would have been my great grandfather, great grandmother, and grandfather.  Grandpa could have been somewhere else, my dad says he would have been at college then, but not his parents.  The address is 36 Prescott Ave, Montclair, Essex County, New Jersey, in case anyone is curious.  I don't know, maybe there was an added page of census records stuck somewhere I didn't think to look?