5 replies to this topic

#1 CherylCh

CherylCh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:54 PM

I've been using RootsMagic for Mac, and at least for now, I'd like to revert to running RootsMagic under Parallels.  How do I do this safely?  Just reopening my current database file in Windows didn't work.

#2 allanpeter

allanpeter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:25 AM

I'm afraid I don't have an answer to your question - only two questions!  I am using 7.0.1 which I believe is a Windows version using crossover.  I have been trying to find a native Mac version, but what appears to be one shown on the Rootsweb download site merely gives me a repeat 7.0.1.  I would be asking 'how did you stumble across the version you are using?, but now am asking' why do you want to move back again to crossover?'

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:38 AM

I'm not a Mac user, but I think you have been confused by the different ways to get a version number for RM.

If you ask the MacOS for a version number, it will tell you the version number of your Crossover bottle.

If you open RM and go to Help > About you'll get your actual RM version.

#4 CherylCh

CherylCh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:42 AM

I'm afraid I don't have an answer to your question - only two questions!  I am using 7.0.1 which I believe is a Windows version using crossover.  I have been trying to find a native Mac version, but what appears to be one shown on the Rootsweb download site merely gives me a repeat 7.0.1.  I would be asking 'how did you stumble across the version you are using?, but now am asking' why do you want to move back again to crossover?'

I'm using the Crossover version.  There isn't a native Mac version yet.  The reasons I want to move back to the regular Windows version are: 1.  No upload to Dropbox to update the app on my iPad  2. It's noticeably slower than just running the Windows version under Parallels  3. Parts of the display are too hard to read.  I've changed all I could in the display options, but that doesn't affect the font size in the menus or Edit Person screen, for example.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7084 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:10 AM

If you have installed Parallels and then the Windows version of RootsMagic on your Mac, use File>Open on your current .rmgc database file, or use File>Restore if you have the .rmgb backup.  I do believe you need to move the files over to your Windows side.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 CherylCh

CherylCh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:48 AM

If you have installed Parallels and then the Windows version of RootsMagic on your Mac, use File>Open on your current .rmgc database file, or use File>Restore if you have the .rmgb backup.  I do believe you need to move the files over to your Windows side.

Thanks, Renee.  File>Open didn't work, but File>Restore did.  I also had to relink my media files, but that didn't take long.  I run Parallels in Coherence mode, so I didn't need to move any files.  At least, I assume Coherence is the reason I didn't have to.