• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mpertuz

mpertuz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:05 PM

Ever since I updated the software a few days ago, many times during the day I get error messages, such as "Range Check Error" and HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request" and then the program freezes.  I have to reboot each time. Is it RM or my computer?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5467 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:16 PM

I'm suggesting it is RM. Turn off all of these: FamilySearch Support, Hints (all kinds), stay out of TreeShare. Work away and see if the error recurs. Turn one on and work away. Repeat until you start getting the error. That will, at least, give you a clue in which area of the program the problem is arising. RM Tech Support will be interested in your findings.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 mpertuz

mpertuz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:03 PM

Thank you, I will try that.  For the last few days I have been working on matching trees between RM and FamilySearch, so I suspect that the error is somewhere in the interface between the two.  I'll post again in a couple of days after I have tested.

#4 RobJ

RobJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:38 AM

Earlier reports of 'range errors', and my own experience, have pointed toward saving to FamilySearch.  I've had no freezes, and the errors have not been fatal.  I've been able to try again, after doing something else I think, and it would often succeed.  A few could not, unknown error (sorry), possibly the '400 Bad request' error mentioned above (not fatal though).  I've been unable to spot an obvious pattern.

#5 mpertuz

mpertuz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:22 AM

One more error message I forgot to mention--"Connect timed out"--but if I closed the error message, sometimes it did not freeze up. Now I will begin trying out what TomH suggested.   

#6 mpertuz

mpertuz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:59 PM

I tried turning everything off, and the program worked well.  Then I added one element [Enable FamilySearch Support] and began comparing trees between RM & FS. I was able to transfer some info back and forth for a few people, then I got the Range Check Error message, then the Bad Request Error, followed by freezing.

#7 mpertuz

mpertuz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:28 AM

Another update:  I tried switching from Chrome to Internet Explorer, but still got the same errors.  How is it that I am the only user who seems to have this problem?

#8 RobJ

RobJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:31 PM

I was making changes to a tree on Ancestry, then sync'ing it to RM, then to FamilySearch, and back again the other way.  (Kind of using RM as the transition tool, that integrates profiles on Ancestry and FamilySearch.)  I ran TreeShare to sync them, had quite a lot of changes, and succeeded with most, but one of them required a surname change (a maiden name had been discovered), and that one caused a range error.  Since only the surname change resulted in a range error, that might be a good place to start debugging.  I did not freeze, but no matter what I tried, clicking 'Accept Changes' resulted in the 'Range Error', on that person.

Later, I discovered that most of the facts on that RM record were in triplicate.  The Ancestry record appeared to be updated correctly, with no apparent issues, and the FamilySearch record appeared to be fine.  Only the RM record looked corrupted.  I then tried all 4 database tools, no issues found, but no improvement either.  I repeated the database tools several times.  Then I discovered that the marriage fact (in triplicate in this record) was not showing up top in the birth, death, and married summary.

And then I discovered the marriage fact was now applied to the parents of the tree's original person, the home person.  This marriage fact now appeared in their top summary, even though they had their own valid marriage fact, and modifying it and saving it had no effect on the posted marriage fact.  Since the fact was completely wrong for them, errors appeared on each of them and their children, that the parents had married at 95yo, even though they hadn't lived that long.  Clearly database corruption, but the database tools did not help.

I'll leave it this way in case someone wants to test something, or wants screen pics.  Then I'll delete the person with all the triplicate facts, and add them back from Ancestry (I *think* that should work).

Edit: I should add that anyone seeing a 'Range Error' should check for corruption in that record - duplicated facts, and facts now applying to other persons.

#9 AlanWatson1958

AlanWatson1958

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:38 AM

Hi Mpertuz,

You are certainly not the only one who has been having lots of technical problems.

These should never force you to reboot your computer. If you are using windows you need to go into the 'processes' in task manager, find the task 'rootsmagic.exe' and choose 'end process'. Rootsmagic will then shut down and you will be able to re-open it.

I have been getting numerous types of errors, all when Rootsmagic is interacting with Familysearch

• Range check errors (eg when using rootsmagic to add one person already matched in to familysearch as parent of another person already matched to family search)
  • Time out errors (when querying FamilySearch)
  • No response to a query on family search (a blank frame in the screen) without freezing (when querying FamilySearch)
  • No response with freezing (when querying FamilySearch)
  • Other errors that I don't currently remember.

I have also been using the new interface to synchronise Rootsmagic with Ancestry, but these problems happen irrespective of whether I have logged in to ancestry.

Some of these errors (eg range check) are new; others are happening much more frequently than before.

Alan

#10 mpertuz

mpertuz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:11 PM

RobJ mentioned that the errors might be due to data corruption, so I listened to the YouTube lesson on To Remove Corruption and created a blank database, then dragged and dropped the whole file.  Next I tried to compare one of my people with the same person in FamSearch.  Got no info and the "Range Check error."  So it looks like the problem is not data corruption? This is getting frustrating!

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:55 PM

We're still beta testing the new update, hope to have this fixed soon.

Renee
RootsMagic

#12 mpertuz

mpertuz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:15 AM

Thanks Renee.  Before I read your message, I put my file on RM to go and tried it on my laptop--and got the same Range Check Error.  I look forward to getting the new update!

#13 jgd

jgd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:25 AM

A similar problem I have run into is RM assumes you always have an internet connection, and the tree matching functions (especially Ancestry) cause hangs or errors you can't get out of.  The problems have happened even when not actively in Treeshare where I expect to need an internet connection.  RM needs to ignore online functions if the connection goes away for some reason.