#1 hotelcalieagles@gmail.com

hotelcalieagles@gmail.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:44 PM

Looking for advice -

I have not been able to find an option that tells TreeShare where (what folder) to save the media in. Or, what name to give to the media file.

I save all my media for RM in a Windows/documents/media folder with sub-folders by topic and then by surname. I include the persons name and topic in the file name.

[for example - Tree name/Topic (Birth Certificates)/Surname (Doe)/Media file name(Birth Certificate - John Doe].

I then associate the media file to the person source or event  in my RM tree. This makes finding the media item on my computer very easy.

TreeShare brings in media from Ancestry to RM and automatically saves it in a folder named RM Data Files/(Tree Name)-Media/Media File Name. The file name is the identification number of the media from Ancestry.com. There is no file name association to the RM tree person. This will make identifying a media item in the media folder very difficult. Of course, TreeShare links the media item to the person, event, or source in RM.

I can solve the PC file identification problem by tagging the media file in the documents folder on the PC, but this would take a lot of effort to convert the existing media files to this structure, and on going each time new media is brought in from Ancestry.

Are there any RM or Tree Share settings options that can direct TreeShare where to save the media?

Is there a way to manually tell Treeshare the naming convention to use when saving the media file?

Any thoughts appreciated

Rick

RickL

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5467 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:47 PM

The answers are No to both questions. Maybe they will be provided in a future update.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 hotelcalieagles@gmail.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:40 PM

Ouch!!

OK, I will proceed as described above for now. Will just have to "adjust" the files as I go

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5467 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:54 PM

You might wish to explore this outboard procedure. You seem to be computer literate and could use it effectively.

TreeShare - Rename Cryptic Filenames for Citation Media

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 hotelcalieagles@gmail.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:40 PM

The issue remains that it is a hassle for the user to alter how media items are saved when RM has brought them in from Ancestry using Tree Share. It can be changed file by file using standard file management tools in Windows (or others), but it takes a lot of time on an ongoing basis, unless the user is willing to just let the media files be saved and named according to the current defaults.

I would think this issue should be added to the RM wish list. Some sort of "popup", at the time the media item is being saved, could prompt the user to over ride the defaults and enter their own file name and saving path, or just allow the file to be saved per the default.

Thanks

RickL

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

It is on the enhancement request list.

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Brooke

Brooke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:12 AM

I understand all of the above but have a question. I also have my scanned media in my genealogy folders (separate surnames) that I prefer for all my media.  Should I move the media that was put in the Roots Magic media folder after it was downloaded from Ancestry into my surname folders?  I don't want the path name to be different for media when I'm adding or renaming it.  Hope this makes sense.

#8 hotelcalieagles@gmail.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:36 AM

I believe you can move media from one folder to another (have done it many times) but don't change the file name, only the path to the file. Then you can use the media tools to fix broken links and re-
establish the links to your preferred media folder. RM can find the new path to your media so long as you have not changed the file name. I'd be sure to have a good back up of your data base and m
media before you make the move.

Now, if you want to rename your media files from the default Ancestry names to names you prefer (surnames etc) that is a whole different kettle of fish. I don't know of a way to do that and keep your links active except one by one.

I have chosen to put all of my media into one folder then use MS tagging to create search tags for the different types of media, families, etc. However, I have to tag the Ancestry default names as I go, or in small batches by date added every so often, to keep the task from getting away from me.

there may be better ways (probably are) but this is what i use.

Hope this helps.

RickL

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5467 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:23 PM

You've probably seen my prior post in this discussion on batch renaming of media files http://sqlitetoolsfo... Citation Media .

Another procedure related to batch metadata tagging of image files is at http://sqlitetoolsfo...are with Picasa. Unfortunately, Picasa is no longer available.