I am very grateful to the Rootsmagic team for developing this function and for rolling out a quick improvement to it. It seems generally to be stable and well-designed. It will allow me to make use of the two systems more effectively. I have two groups of issues:
The amount of work involved
The system is too labour intensive to be viable in the long term. The main points to be fixed here are
1. Being able to approve all the changes in one direction or the other by person, or even for all people, while retaining options to review individual changes (as many others have suggested)
2. The need to re-write the way that Rootsmagic holds sources at the person level (as the Rootsmagic team has noted)
However, there are other things. For example matching a Rootsmagic person to one in FamilySearch causes it to come up on the list of changes for comparison with Ancestry, even though nothing relevant to Ancestry has changed in Rootsmagic. This can cause lots of work to review.
Problems involving the integrity of data
1. When an existing Ancestry (or Rootsmagic) person is added as parent, child or spouse of another person, the interface prompts you to create a duplicate in the other system and does not give you any option to link the new parent, child or spouse to the already existing person. There is a way of working round this by duplicating the linkages on both sides, but this means remembering to handle each one individually.
2. When a person has more than one spouse, the interface does not handle marriages properly. Both husband and wife have a marriage added, but the neither marriage includes the spouse. To fix this manually, you need to go into Rootsmagic, delete and then re-add the marriages.
3. The initial download of trees transfers the status of children (biological, adopted, step, unknown etc), but the interface does not pick up changes and let you pass them through.
4. I deleted a surname in Rootsmagic, but was not given the option of deleting the same surname from Ancestry.
5, As others have noted, there are problems dealing with duplicate events. For example, I had a duplicated marriage in Rootsmagic, one copy with a husband, one without, but the details otherwise the same. These both linked to the same single marriage event in Ancestry, suggesting that there was a duplicate there too when there was not, and not giving me the option to delete the duplicate in Rootsmagic.
Thanks again for developing this excellent function. I do hope that you will be able to continue to work on improving it.
PS Now that Rootsmagic has a working relationship with Ancestry, it would be great if you could persuade them to make some basic changes to their system too - adding prefix and nickname fields to Ancestry would be fantastic.